Ice cutting?

flushcut

TreeHouser
I was contacted by the yacht club to cut a large circle in the ice on Delavan Lake and I am wondering do I use bar oil ( I assume veggie oil) or do I not need it? Anybody have experience with this?

Ah hell, just use bar oil. If someone asks about the oil slick on the water just tell them that it’s a natural accumulation of oil that seeps out of the lake bed and gets trapped beneath the ice in winter time... :D

For a hole that size, I doubt you need to use oil at all.

I never changed out the regular dino bar oil when I cut ice off of the fish hatchery intake pond. Never killed any fingerlings or smolts in the runs with oil, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably use veggie oil to make the greenies happy.

Very cool! I'd never heard of that before now. You'll definitely need a jig to make sure it's a perfect circle.

I like the way they get it moving... I bet it's neat laying flat on your back like they were doing! Watching the stars!

We use canola oil when cutting ice fishing holes up here.

A few weeks ago we were up at our cottage by Mountain and wanted to see how thick the ice was. I didn't have my saw but we used my neighbor's with bar oil..... It worked fine and didn't leave any noticeable slick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep that is what's getting made and they plan on using trolling motors. One or two I am not sure.

Back