Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

Looks like you can watch the skyscraper vid on that website in a few days, it just premiered on tv today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it's pretty technical, but so is high level tree care. At the high end of tree work, you are a botanist, rigger extraordinaire, and acrobat. At the high end of welding you are a mechanical and metallurgical engineer, with the hands of a surgeon. They both are unlimited when it comes to discovering and learning more, and that's what makes them so fun :) Welding only gets really technical when you start applying it to actual industry tho, the vast majority of it is relatively simple. It's only when you start getting into exotics or piping that you gotta learn a ton more.

Yeah it is a cool show! Of course they try to do the TV reality show thing of injecting non existent danger into the process multiple times, but very cool anyway.

Always interesting to hear your perspective on tree work vs welding.

I will never understand why tv producers do that shit. I know they are trying to make it interesting for everyone, but you don't need death defying drama when in reality the job is dangerous enough. They made ax men go from a kinda cool show to complete garbage doing that crap.

Exactly. I'm a tree work junkie yet ax men was literally unwatchable.

Me too.
It seems that most people are "clinical" lurkers and want both to feel fear (but not be involved in) and to see others in the most critical situation as possible. So the producers push heavily on that to make money. It's easy when the lurkers know nothing about the subject.
I can't understand how we are "wired". One of the remarkable points of the human being as an evolved specie is too feel empathy, mandatory for the social function. How is that possible to have the both sentiments? That' incomprehensible.

I agree. Most of those"reality" shows are so fake that they aren't worth watching. That's why I watch lots of YouTube -- there's no advertiser to appease.

--andrew

Yup, i reposted them on page 9. Marc-Antoine caught them earlier

20171203_155837.jpg

Here's the picture of me loading a truck with a redneck stiffleg, utilizing a tree trunk for the mast. The line for adjusting the boom was simply tied off, so the only thing this simple setup allowed under load was hoisting and slewing (swinging). However that's all that is needed to load a truck, so it was the perfect setup being the quickest to rig and fulfilled the task.

This is one of my favorite threads. Load of great stuff here!

Kyle, I'll be posting a new thread about a small derrick crane that I want to build for my chip truck. You'll have to check it out. Would appreciate your thoughts.

OK...it's about time to add something I had forgotten about (thankfully!). But I am tabling my shame and posting this anyway. It's actually about rigging...the first part is...well...not. Just bear with the stick tossing stuff...it was part of a discussion at the time somehow.

Terrible quality video. Burnham was on some kind of long walkabout and folks were nutz about it...I just provided a distraction...Georgia style...:D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gySSXB2mve0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lol Gary, it did work hahahahahaha. For the record tho, gin poles on a truck like that can't load something into the bed because they overcenter and lose support. I can't wait to be able to build a bed for my new truck, and build a decent welding skid, and so i can actually show how awesome they can be.

I like this use of the Lewis Winch and a home-made log arch for loading logs, but I wonder if it was just for show?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7u8yjasHzhA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a redneck version of a gin pole truck, they are awesome, but they do not self load. I had another thread about them and how i was planning on building one for my truck, and some of the ways to use them. I will be building one for this new truck now, but it will have to wait till i have some time...

Here's the thread

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?20722-Winch-bed-and-trailer-build

I worked for years with one of those damn trucks. Raise the log, back the flatbed truck under, lower winch - rinse and repeat. Many times the entire crew had to jump on the front bumper to bring it down to earth. Cranes are soooo much better!!!

Back