Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Absolutely awesome thread, Kyle. Some of that stuff, I never even knew existed!

Outstanding! Pay no attention to the naysayer...

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Kyle...I read it all. A lot to wrap my brain around but the concepts of what CAN be done with ropes, pullies and wood is incredible. Thanks for putting that together.
    Gary

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I can't believe how complicated they can be.

That's kind of the beauty of it all, the ideas are simple, but adding technology pushes the envelope of what can be done. It also demonstrates that a crane, no matter how advanced it seems, is really just the addition of various parts to achieve a certain goal. Most of us in the states are used to a hydraulic crane, where the boom is extended by hydraulics (as opposed to being bolted together), luffs by hydraulics (boom up and down) rather than by winch, and slews (turns)by hydraulics (as opposed to a winch line around a bullwheel). The winch part is unchanged. One of the biggest problems of hydraulics is that they tend to bleed off, cranes controlled by winches only are simply dogged off, and they don't move. Very important when you are doing critical work.

The other cool thing is that the winches aren't necessarily tied to the derrick, but can be almost anywhere. In the days of setting steel by guy derricks, the winches were left on the first floor, and sometimes even around the block. They would use pulleys to run the lines through the building, and they would sometimes go down hallways and stuff. Stiffleg derricks are used to dismantle large tower cranes, and actually are designed to be dismantled themselves and carried down in an elevator. They also have much larger capacities at a longer radius, because the mast gives better line angles. Hydraulic cranes use a cantilever boom, which is much larger and heavier than what is needed for a winch style fixed boom (compression loaded only), which limits their capacities. Lattice is still king on heavy picks and duty cycle, and that's why. They can be very lightweight compared to their loads, which adds to their capacity.

Kyle...since you are clearly bored I'll throw this at you...some of it might catch your eye. My son and I have been working on a water slide...here is a thread from "before your time" I think...a mess of pictures of the build in the thread and a few attached here that did not make the thread.

We did a boom/derrick/jib...something!...at one point...a bamboo pole base mounted and basically horizontal that we rigged off..can't find that picture yet...it may be in a video. I'll see.

http://masterblasterhome.com/showthr...ighlight=slide
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_highcorner install (3).jpg   slide5 (1).jpg   water slide build set 2-28.jpg   slide build misc  (1)resized.jpg  

slide build misc  (2)resized.jpg   slide build misc  (3)resized.jpg   slide build misc  (4)resized.jpg   slide build misc  (5)resized.jpg  

slide build misc  (6)resized.jpg  
    Gary

I found the jib/boom whatever video...you can see the bamboo boom (fun to say that!) in the vid.

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d0974a88be804d64da8a6057fd3cddfd--crane.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	83714
    This is a picture of a stiffleg on a roof. You will notice the winch, which has 3 drums. Those are for the luffing function, and then two load lines, one on the jib for light picks, and the other for heavy picks. In the front is actually a fourth drum, which has several turns around it, and is in a loop. That loop goes around what is called the bullwheel, the round thing on the bottom of the mast. By operating that winch drum, the boom and mast are swung side to side (slew). The mast and the boom turn together in ball and socket type joints at the top and bottom. This is the same for guy derricks as well. So in practice (especially on the older simpler and smaller units), the hardware for one setup is the same hardware for the other setup, so spars can be used interchangeably.

Name:	118be2330460896097dae0e3e37ee57c.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	83719
    Here's another pic, clearly showing the bullwheel and how it was braced off the side of the building. On smaller incarnations the boom was swing by hand with a lever, a small gear drive, or guy lines on either side.

Awesome Gary, I hadn't seen that thread! Perfect example of what can be accomplished using these simple principals!!

And I'm not bored, I'm in a hospital with the new baby. Everyone around me is sleeping a lot lol
    Kyle

Here's a different setup, using a large wheel that the legs ride on. This can turn 360?, and uses only 1 anchor. This could easily be replicated in a yard, and would literally have the same function as a crane with two winches, one for the boom and one for the load line.

Name:	0219-stiffleg-derrick-1.jpg 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	83720

The modern evolution of the above idea, on one of the largest cranes in the world, used for nuclear powerhouse materials. One pick from this bad boy is more trees than most will fall in a decade, if not a career. 1250 tons. Since sold, but was originally used to pick nuclear reactor parts perfectly, around 800 tons a pick.

Name:	b740919a6c829b5f810f26e02b91d972--terminal-memphis.jpg 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	83721
    Kyle

Hoorah for a baby!!! Congrats to all.

Seriously cool stuff that people do to move heavy loads.
    Gary