Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

Yo, Kyle :).

Here's some pics of another bit of big weight moving. I know I posted these and the whole story somewhere here, but danged if I can find that thread to link. So I'll repost a few pictures for your perusal :).

Best estimates put the weight of the boulder within a few percentage points of the Chevrolet 1500. 5500 pounds-ish. Only way I was able to move this was pulling downhill, otherwise the truck would have been the more moveable object. Also had to chock all four wheels and stand on the brakes during the pulls.

Winch is a Warn 12k. Only needed a single block for this setting...so 2:1 ma, less friction.

As you can see from the pictures and the spin patterns on the gravel, I reset the rigging multiple times to keep turning the rock farther off the roadway rather than just a straight ahead pull. Frankly, that was the only special challenge here. Otherwise, I would not have been able to get it sufficiently clear of the travelway...just not enough room to place the truck for a straight on pull.

I won a $50 bet on my being able to rig and move this one solely with my truck and winch. From a master's degree road design engineer :D. He was fairly new to the Mt. Hood NF at that point, didn't know his opponent's skills well yet :lol:.

Yup, these are the photos that I remember B! Wasn't sure where to find them.

This is one of my fav ongoing threads on the TH.

Thanks again!

We use this system, or a variation of it for moving debris. Doesn’t happen often but it’s a huge help when we do.
We refer to it as a tensioned high line, get a high line set at the debris end and tension the landing side with a ute. Use gravity to slide load to the landing.
Here’s a small light weight version I used to get a load of firewood.
There wasn’t any suitable back spar so I had to be pretty gentle with the loads. Heaviest was probably only 300kgs but that was pushing the back spar and the WLL of the high line to it’s limit.
Sometimes use a haul back line to slow the load down or just to make getting the trolley back up the hill easier.
7AD82994-517B-4A0A-B8AE-D9CC840EAA67.jpeg BC76F2B9-10C0-4D51-BA96-1E26AD2248BA.jpeg A31BF26B-C207-4A6D-8ABA-A084EB2F034E.jpeg B45A4DCB-6F07-4619-9C01-1A3B94405CE4.jpeg E175C64C-89F7-4CC8-976F-88E6B3CAF565.jpeg E1F58292-DD1E-435F-9FCC-A0097F10BC4E.jpeg 1DFFA0F0-C01D-4517-97F0-A6E13E1EBED7.jpeg

Not tree related. Hope there are some transferable principles. I sometimes have equipment that needs to be attached to a wall or near a wall high up. Sometimes there is no access for mobile machinery and no overhead structure to hang a chain hoist. Last week I had to lift a 90 pound junction box on top of a beam. There was a catwalk above it but not enough head room to hang a hoist from the catwalk. I needed an opening through the catwalk floor anyway, so I hung a come-a-long from a slanted strut on top of the cat walk leaning against the wall like a ladder. I don't know if there is a technical name for a leaning beam derrick. This worked very well. The strut was bolted to the wall and the floor. The floor and wall were both weak, but adequate for a 90 pound load. It got me thinking about the vectors involved in this kind of operation and what the forces on the wall and floor were. I wish I could calculate these so I could know how strong they need to be for a heavier lift. Apparently engineering students get homework problems with just this kind of calculation based on a ladder. I found one explanation on youtube I will link to. It looks a little complicated but I think I can figure it out eventually.

Attachments

• leaning ladder derrick.jpeg
    leaning ladder derrick.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 30x30 junction box.jpeg
    30x30 junction box.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • leaning  beam derrick.JPG
    leaning beam derrick.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 9
Here's some pictures of the log loader with boom, which of the two, is better because it can pick far greater capacity because you don't have the highline multiplier on the rigging (keeping the skyline tight takes dramatically more force than the boom).

View attachment 83693
View attachment 83694
View attachment 83695

In the last one you can even see the log suspended off to the right.
Hello, Kyle! I was just starting to re-read this thread, and when I got to post #3 it said that the linked images could not be found. I don't know if it's a temporary glitch, or some other issue.

I don't know if after all of this time you have any way of even knowing what the original images were. If you do, though, maybe it would be possible for you to go back into that post and add the images back into it. I guess I'm thinking that these images that are lost (at least to me) might be due to a bad sector on a server computer or something. I'm no computing whiz, so this is just speculation on my part.

Sorry to be a pain in the neck, I just thought you might want to maintain the continuity of the thread. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has the same issue accessing those images, or if it is just my own device that is the problem. Thanks for your time, and for starting this great thread. I hope you are doing well, also. Take care. Tim.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thx Tim, no i messed up on the original post, but i posted them in posts 82 - 84.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Figured i would add some more books I've found, here's a handy book concerning wire rope, covers socketing, some splicing, and a bunch of the finer points of wire rope.

And this one is cargo rigging, covers all sorts of rigging scenarios and techniques. It's for cargo ships, ww2 era, and covers rigging and using the ships gear in pretty good detail.

Back