Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well share the love brother! Lol I'm in Illinois, so cheap stuff there doesn't help me here. I did make my own grcs tho, non self tailing winch off Ebay.

I highly recommend scouring Craigslist and offerup use the search "winch" or "capstan" set price max at $400 or so

Hook up some elevator fools and they will hook you up with squeaky blocks, fuzzy rope and plenty of scrap steel when they're done with a job. The stuff is supposed to be thrown away after every big high-rise.

If you find a repair crew they will give you miles of nasty fiber core plow steel wire rope.

Last edited:
You have gotten some attention now! When you can show us HOW you use that. There's angles and dangles there that I can't yet parse out. (y)

I was thinking of mounting a winch in place of the hoe bucket and running it off the bucket cylinder hydraulics but that looks like a better option for a one man operation. Thanks for the post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could do one on each wheel, and only lift the wheel that you want to turn lol

Well that's exactly what they did, kept 1 tire planted. There once was an aftermarket wheel hub mounted drum for willys jeeps and vertical axis pto shaft driven capstans too.

Great to look at, I'll agree completely...but hell on earth to drive any distance at all, never mind getting much over 50 mph or 9 mpg.
:D

A friend of mine had a 62. It didn't have the PTOs either. Someone crammed a V8 in it, and dicked it up, but it was still a cool truck. If someone were to offer me any vehicle of my choice, a Willys wagon would be in my top 5 easy.

Back