Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

The joke always was, as folks are carrying those heavy mofos thru the bush, "if this is a young block, I'd hate to see the fully grown ones!!"

Interesting thread .I think we get caught up with modern methods which just use the same laws of physics similar to old school methods that have been around for thousands of years .If it worked then,it will work now,nothing has changed .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saved these pics and they are too cool not to post... I especially lose the circus net for fall protection lol

view-as-temporary-stabilizing-strut-in-place-as-the-stainless-steel-picture-id459771205.jpg

gateway-arch-10.jpg

In looking at the picture of the arch I wasn't aware that Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel was involved in it .PDM was a oil tank,water tank builder that sold out to Chicago Bridge and iron .Funny according my references CBI only ever built one bridge .

That is pucker factor. Incredible feat. A windy day would be most troubling for me.

The net...looks like it actually caught some stuff.:lol:

Amazing pics of an incredible project. Thanks for posting

Here's some videos that are cool. First one is an navy training video on cargo handling from ww2, shows all the components and them loading and unloading stuff.

https://youtu.be/0PJ4zTvNwwQ

This one shows some old school steel erection, using guy derricks. Lots of riding the ball, climbing columns, and stuff that would give osha a fit nowadays.

https://youtu.be/miU8lxASYfg

Whoa, swinging loads, no tag lines...

NnoGhN1.gif

They even added more above that, doing stupid shit. A few months ago, we bashed on the crazy Russian playing on the edge of tall buildings, but in this vid, it seems that some of these iron workers weren't much more bright than him.

That was the job, and your life was expendable. They used to calculate how many deaths would occur on each project. On some projects, they still do btw... steel connecting hasn't really changed that much even to this day. Osha allows 25' before ironworkers have to tie off (I did hear they were thinking of changing it tho), so what they do is put the steel decking in every other floor, and a wire rope handrail around the perimeter. The use of derricks has declined with the advent of climbing cranes, but a modern jobsite really isn't that different. We often joke there's only two things that fall from the sky, bird shit and ironworkers lol. They did get rid of the ball riding and column climbing tho

What I mean is I don't think that jumping rope, chair equilibrium and walking blindfolded on a board were part of the job.

But nonetheless, I'm really impressed.

In the very first picture in this thread it does not show how to bring the block back after traveling.
Also how do you raise and lower the log without forcing the block to wander on the high lead?

Back