Trailer Arch for loading and unloading

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Seems like Kyle has some great ideas about this.
I run into being able to load my trailer at a jobsite, but then not being able to unload with a machine, as it's still at the job site.

Some stuff can be tumbled off, some can't, as it isn't to be damaged, or too heavy to move.

My saw miller can't load lumber with his fork lift due to fenders. Sometimes, he's not around to unload logs with his loader.

Any ideas and resources would be great, or if Kyle just wants to start a thread about his build, also great.

This guy has one worked out.
https://youtu.be/HWaHxb2f1Y0

It is a nice rig that he had built, but I'm afraid it's limited to only a handful of logs because it lacks the height to stack logs on each other, and requires changing the rigging multiple times, which is basically dragging it on, and in that case quite violently. He also built a far more complex arch than needed, which places bending moments rather than compression moments (that arch will likely bend, and if it doesn't, is way heavier than if he would have just used shears). And you know me too well Sean, I was debating on starting a thread about derricks and associated rigging, because I'm a nerd and I have much to learn that I'm sure some of our members here could help with. The gin pole truck bed is on hold because of the new baby (and the existing one lol), but I will be building it here in about a month as my wife heals up. It should go quickly, as I have most of the design worked out, however if you are planning on something to unload trailers at the same location frequently (like your yard), I feel there are easier ways to go about it than a gin pole truck. A gin pole trailer has to be kind of designed for that to begin with, because it requires a true flat bed design. It's also hard to self load, which is why I was going to use it to load skids, that I would then winch on like a rolloff dumpster. Most regular trailers are built using the sides as a beam to support the trailer, because it is a lighter and cheaper build, which is good for maximizing usable load rather than heavy beefy trailer.

The easiest way I've found, other than a dump trailer, tying the load to a tree and driving off, or equipment is to use a lifting device or mini crane. I had a harbor freight jib crane on my 1/2 ton truck(wayyyyyyyyyy to light of a truck), which worked very well once I tied it into the frame and added an atv winch for the load line. You can add one or more to a trailer, which would suffice, but I since have found more effective rigging setups using a derrick. I'll start a thread.

Back