Climbing rope embedded in tree

I bet that the splitting with the maul will be almost impossible, due to the bracing action from the extremely tight rope. There isn't much more elasticity left in the embedded rope to allow opening the split. Plus the convoluted fibers. I'd cut lengthwise with the saw.

Thanks to bring back the song in my head !:D

Codit? Compartmentalization of decay in trees. That doesnt apply to abiotic damage/sources?
Yes, it does.
But Codit isn't involved here though.

We can't speak really about damage, as the oak wasn't wounded (yet), only disrupted locally in its growth. It was working on it to overcome this annoyance and it seems (first look) that there wasn't any dead area by the girdling. Maybe that could come, maybe not.
Actually we come after the battle, as the tree will soon be all dead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yep...I don't want to take the chance there is structural weakness there...a lot of tree above those points.

Great post Gary.

I would love to see that girdled area split open lengthways...maybe even quarter it, get a peek into different areas.

CODIT definitely applies to mechanical damage, not just organisms. THE CODIT I've seen from repeated weedwhacker damage, or wounds from falling branches...

I suppose there is a special layer of growth, wall 4, between the wood present at the time of wounding, and new woundwood growth.

I was thinking of woundwood as new growth, not containment of decay.

Back