Coast Redwoods 2018

I get the soil compaction aspect but the heat of the fresh asphalt is what I was getting at.

The heat from the laying of asphalt is a brief one-time thing. Any roots not killed at that time will have the chance to redevelop in a more protected environment. Large trees rarely show any indications of root stress from asphalt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The heat from the laying of asphalt is a brief one-time thing. Any roots not killed at that time will have the chance to redevelop in a more protected environment. Large trees rarely show any indications of root stress from asphalt.

Plus the new asphalt probably has an old layer beneath it, which probably slows heat transfer while the layer releases heat to the air.

Here's another photo. Jedediah Smith park. I stop to look at the roots growing down, almost every time I enter this west end of the park.

Attachments

• Jed_Roots_2000mdv.jpg
    Jed_Roots_2000mdv.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 50
Putting images aside for a moment, here's a video I found recently from G. F. Beranek

He published it around 2008, and somehow I sidestepped it over the years browsing the web. The Rotary Int. Grove is among the nicest in Prairie Creek park.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xd_iVMhLSr0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just realized that the trees at 2:40 in his video, are where I suggested for this couple to hold their ceremony last autumn.

Attachments

• redwood_wedding_vaden.jpg
    redwood_wedding_vaden.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 75
Cobra Lily from an Insect's View

Darling2_1600mdv.jpg

The weather was rainy the other day ... aka perfect ...

Attachments

• Jed_Rain_1_1200.jpg
    Jed_Rain_1_1200.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 38
Gerald, I spotted this old cut, about 120 ft. from a road, with the cut facing away from the road. And on a small hill. The tissue has me guessing about 50 years ago. At first I thought maybe the cutting was for foot bridges or the like, but a remnant of burl above the cut and the up/down cut made me think a burl theft.

Attachments

• Burl_Cut_2000mdv.jpg
    Burl_Cut_2000mdv.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 27
There was not much reason to steal burl 50 years ago.
Even 30 years ago, when I bought some, it was not very expensive, because there was still logging going on and it was a bit of a waste product.
Be hard as hell to get a burl that size out of there, too.

It would not be an easy removal, although with rope and pulleys, I can see options. A burl 120 ft. from a road is much easier than a burl 1000 ft. from a road if it's a large one. It one was removed, it may be on account of what it looked like. There have been many burls, but no two burls are alike.

There was another cut on a prostrate log to the right of this scene between the redwood and road. And the removed piece of log is almost exactly where I would choose to place a line to slide something up the slope.

Attachments

• Burl_V2_1200mdv.jpg
    Burl_V2_1200mdv.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 43
I saw that, too.

Rarely do we see eye to eye. This calls for a celebration.

Mario, you've seen it, I haven't.

Reason I piped up is that first time I wanted to bring burl home, it could be had for almost nothing.
In 1999 I was planning on maybe getting a quarter of a shipping container's amount, that way shipping it would be a reasonable price.

Turned out that the price of burl had gone up so high, that if I brought any home and worked it, I would not be able to make any profit at all.

Since working for free has never been my deal, I gave up on the whole idea.

Thanks Gerald. It was very pleasant. The sun appeared a few times, lighting small insects that moved around like little fairies. That one was taken looking across Mill Creek. I also took another crack at the Smith River again because the mist in the hills looked pretty that morning. Sunday morning.

Smith_2018_2000mdv.jpg

Back