Coast Redwoods 2018

mdvaden

Treehouser
A head start for 2018 photos. This was the end of December, but close enough. Just got a new lens I'm getting a handle on. The Zeiss Milvus 85mm. This was Howland Hill Rd. in Jedediah Smith park.

Attachments

• HHR_Curvy_1200.jpg
    HHR_Curvy_1200.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 123
Awsome.
You've really managed to capture the density of the Redwood forest.
Those two apprentices of mine that were with Richard and me, when we met up with you.
The sheer vertical mass of trees per acre in Rockefeller grove simply blew their minds. That is something that is really hard to explain to someone, who hasn't been to the Redwoods.
This picture does a great job of it.

Put a location on those pictures when you post them, please.
That makes it ever so much more fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you everyone. Feels good to get some details of 2017 squared away and back to a certain routine again moving toward 2018.

BTW ... Happy New Year !!

Also tried some portraits this week with the new Zeiss lens and fairly new Tamron 85mm.

PS - to Stig - added the location on the first one.

Last edited:
Jedediah Smith park this morning while the night's rain clouds were slowly vanishing.

Jed_Roots_2000mdv.jpg

Bull Creek Flats area near Tall Tree in Humboldt Redwoods. Left early one night to get an early start in this park.

Attachments

• BCF_Bend_1200.jpg
    BCF_Bend_1200.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 58
Pretty dark in them woods. Looks like new pavement to boot.

Miles of new pavement. A few rigs were moving a bit quick, but most were traveling reasonably. But it made it easier to enjoy scenery driving than watching for pot holes.

"pave paradise and put up a parking lot"
Hot asphalt cooking the root plate of those fine specimens.
Beautiful trees!

Actually, in areas of high traffic use, tree roots are better protected and the least disturbed by asphalt than by not having it.

The old Bull creek road was dirt, narrow, windy, sharp / blind turns, pot-holed, tree roots. 15 to 20 mph was fast on it, I recall. Now its all paved, still sharp / blind turns, but 40 /50 mph is the norm now. Lots of wrecks. trees, cars, horse trailors. Dangerous even to to walk.

Not any improvement at all, really. Speed limited should be reduced. Or maybe cut some trees out of the way so people can go faster. Nahh

Actually, in areas of high traffic use, tree roots are better protected and the least disturbed by asphalt than by not having it.

I get the soil compaction aspect but the heat of the fresh asphalt is what I was getting at.

Coast redwoods handle fire until some burn. Coast redwoods handle wind until some blow down. Coast redwoods handle some drought until some die-back on top. There may be a better description than "handling well". Some of the older ones have thicker bark. And they can resprout after defoliation in ways that other trees like Douglas fir don't. Saddler_1400.jpg

Last edited:
I get the soil compaction aspect but the heat of the fresh asphalt is what I was getting at.

Not much sunlight ever makes it down on the Bull Creek road, so no problem with that.

Back