Climber Weight

I hired a 19 year old kid a long time ago. He was excited for the job, and was going to go buy a bunch of good vegetarian food at the food co-op with his earnings. Be all healthy and fit.

In short time, he never passed up a double-bacon cheeseburger when I was buying or stopping. He vegetarianism was a great ideal, but not practical.

It is unpractical and also pretty stupid.
We, as a species, were made both herbi and carnivorous.
Claiming otherwise is something one can get away with in our part of the world, where getting enough to eat is no problem.
Quite the opposite, in fact.

Its a weird world where obesity and calorie/ protein-deficiency are both chronic human problems.

Some people can't figure out which shoes to wear. Others can't figure out how to afford shoes.

To the original post...

Lose some weight and get the knee stronger and life will be a hell of a lot easier.

The excess weight can't be helping the knee. How you choose to get the weight down, is up to you.

Good luck with it all. Climbing is good exercise but carrying excess weight is just asking for RSI's.

Sean, I have logged for 40 years, more or less. Always to scale, never paid by the hour.
Done high level karate for 43.
Never eaten meat, fish, poultry or eggs.

So, please tell me again what it is you can do that those who don't eat meat can't?:D

kyrie Irving, star for the Celtics and arguably the best point guard in the league is a vegan. he also has a full time nutritionists and trainer working with him

I wouldn't be inclined to hire a vegetarian. WAY too few know how to be a vegetarian and an intense athlete.

Not impossible.

How many vegetarians are there here?

Most omnivores can't seem to bring enough calories. I always tell them that if they don't have food left at the end of the day, they probably didn't bring enough.

Basic exercise-science proves out that recovery starts immediately after exercise, not three hours later, when they get around to dinner.

Tree workers aren't pro athletes. That being said, I've had many of my guys say that their girlfriends like that they are doing tree work. Their muscles become visible, approaching 6-packs even, etc.

kyrie Irving, star for the Celtics and arguably the best point guard in the league is a vegan. he also has a full time nutritionists and trainer working with him

So he's one person out of how many?

Does he prepare his own food? I like its going good when they bring enough to eat, most days. I always try to have excess food for them.

You don't get mad at a car for sputtering for being out of fuel. You add fuel.

I could be a vegan if I had a chef, and Lots of time to eat.

he has millions upon millions of dollars. I doubt he makes his own food. he is leading the league right now in points in the final five minutes and he credits his stamina to his diet. I was a vegetarian from age 6 to 13. still don't eat a lot of meat. I fry my tofu in bacon grease though.

25.7 BMI, here.

The BMI calculator I used from Google says it measures body fat. I can't figure out how. I can't figure out why they would use a system like that. Might as well measure using kernel of corn or the king's toe.

From looking at Driver's Licenses from employment paperwork, many of my guys are similar BMI's, or smaller numbers. Not due to them being in better shape than me. I'm stronger and more fit than almost all of my employees, historically.

Ya, we'd never be able to tolerate one another. A vegetarian and a 25+'er.

As fate would have it, the commute is too much, anyway.

I'd actually like to do some work-travel, with Dahlia getting older, and schedules changing.

Sean, Me using BMI to discourage prospective apprentices, does not mean I belive BMI is an accurate measurement, it simply means that I probably can't get away with saying fat boys need not apply.
There is a certain amount of PC in this country as well.

Also, for the 200th time. I'm not a vegetarian, I simply don't eat meat.

Yup, the red haired thing is a joke.

It started way back when I worked for the State forest service.

I trained all the apprentices for the region and absolutely refused to take on tobacco smokers.

So one of the local foresters told me that it wasn't legal to discriminate like that.

My response was, that I could damned well discriminate against red haired people if I wanted to, as long as I never told anybody I was doing it.

I never asked any prospective apprentice if they smoked.
No reason to.
I do have a nose.

"Moral, religious or health reasons"

Where do I fit in.

I don't eat meat because it makes me puke. Always has.

I consider that a major handicap.

It really sucked big time during my travelling years.

I raised calves for a long while on my grass land here on the old homestead, slaughtered them and sold the meat.

I gues that would be the vegetarian thing to do, right;)

Phew. Dodged a bullet. I thought Stig was gonna start shunning me because my Irish comes out in my hair from time to time. It’s worked for me as well though. Some people say I drink to much. I say I’m half Irish and they say I drink to little.

To the OP, your weight will be an issue but it can be overcome. It’ll be tough but you can do it. I’ve worked with plenty of guys that were overweight. They got the job done. Being lighter helps with pruning and some removals bit the job can still be accomplished. If you decide to pursue it, make an effort to lose the lbs. it’ll help out immensely

You didn’t eat them did you?

Puking fits into ‘health reasons’ I guess.

So now puking is healthy. That must make bulimia the ultimate health trip.

My point was that vegetarians are all about: " The pooooooooooooooooor animals"

I've killed my share and then some, just didn't eat any of them.

Don't mind me, Mick.
It is New years ewe.
The wife is working, so I'm sitting at home with the horses and dogs.
All I have to do, apart from reading a book, is getting a bit bitchy here.

To the OP, your weight will be an issue but it can be overcome. It’ll be tough but you can do it. I’ve worked with plenty of guys that were overweight. They got the job done. Being lighter helps with pruning and some removals bit the job can still be accomplished. If you decide to pursue it, make an effort to lose the lbs. it’ll help out immensely

I bet he will be able better to hoss a big saw around than me...I hate when I have to take the MS290 up a tree. I cringe when I see some of you with a monster saw doing takedowns. I avoid those big takedowns that have to be chunked down. It always amazes me to see Reg doing some of his takedowns. He is not big by any means but he knows how to wield a big saw.

No the puking is unhealthy, ergo health reasons.

My point is even if you took those calves and fired them gleefully from a catapult into a pen full of velociraptors, you didn’t eat them or any other meat, so you’re a vegetarian.

What you think about it is as a philosophy is irrelevant, what you actually eat (or don’t) is what dictates your dietary ‘status’

Back