Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Engine for splitter

Cool. Thanks. I learn a lot, here.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Np, very handy trick sometimes. Much cheaper than buying a tap, and will work quite well. Very very useful in the larger sizes, because taps that big are very expensive and unless you own a machine shop, are used a few times on a project then never used again. Another cool and similar trick is let's say you are going to cut a bolt down to a shorter length, you thread a nut on first, then cut the bolt, then back the nut off. By backing the nut off, it straightens the final thread back to where it should be, so you won't fight getting it started. Same idea kinda, but in female form.
    Kyle

WD-40 is a good lube for tapping aluminum.

Quenching steel in mecury makes it very hard.
    Peter

TreeHouser Sponsor

And poisons you. Highly toxic vapors.

That it does, but the steel nowadays tears itself apart from even a water quench. Too much manganese and no sulfur. Metallurgical advances have come along way since the days of crucible and Bessemer steel and wrought iron. Cryogenic hardening is used too nowadays on some steels.
    Kyle

Had some mig tips dipped in liquid nitrogen just for chits and giggles (copper), they lasted five times longer than undipped.
    fb4e568623b5f8cf7e932e6ba7eddc0db9f42a712718f488bd c0bf880dd3

Nice! Nozzles or contact tips? You said tips so I'm gonna assume contact tips. That's awesome man, I used to go through 2-3 a day doing ss. That hard wire eats tips like none other, and doing short circuit stuff requires a perfect tip. Most places around here got the pipe worx tho, so pulse eliminates most of the headaches.
    Kyle

splitter is re powered with Honda.... works great. finally moving after the flu and being outside splitting wood felt good. Too bad it started raining...

FWIW......those self tappers are supposed to be only threaded half way....then the final threads cut when engine is mounted. You cannot use a tap for them......slight difference in threads. Oh well......... turned then in fine and everything mounted right up.

Honda sure is easy to start compared to the old POS briggs
    a society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in

If you are going to case harden a bolt first heat it up to cherry and toss it in a can of brown sugar .Of course it will catch fire .After it cools heat it up to orange and quench it in oil .Sugar is c6 H12 o6 .You burn off the hydrogen and oxygen and the carbon infuses into the steel so it can be hardened .You could heat and quench mild steel a hundred times and it will never get harder < that trick BTW is older than the hills .