New Engine for splitter

No_Bivy

Treehouser
I need to repower my splitter. Currently has a B&S model 120602 0182 E1

is there a way to determine shaft length and size from this serial number? I tried surfing the web but mostly find parts info

vertical shaft......

In my area I make templates for bolt patterns and measure shafts myself. Every once in a while things are ordered wrong by 'xperts and their 'puters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
good advice...

any opinions on engine to replace with....Honda? off brand?

To me theres only one choice for small engines, (and motorized rec vehicles). Honda. I think i have like eleven hondas now. I like em.

You can trial and error with an open end wrench to measure shaft diameter,barring better devices. The Honda knock offs at Harbor Freight have a good rep if it is not used hard and often. Cheap and everybody says they are great.

Honda builds some baddass little motors that handle abuse like nothing else out there. What's wrong with the existing motor? How did it fail? Working on small motors isn't that hard depending on what's wrong with them, and I think too many are just replaced when a new gasket our something like that could get it running again. I've opened up motors where water got in the intake, filled the cylinder, froze, rusted the valves slightly, and obviously wouldn't turn over. Pull the head, spray it with oil, tap the valves down and work them free, steel wool clean up, coat the gasket with never sieze, put back together, fires right up and runs to this day. I had a mechanic buddy of mine get a beater car motor running again by pulling the plugs and shoving paracord in the cylinder to do the same thing without pulling the head. Blew my mind lol. You can also usually make gaskets for stuff rather than hunting down and buying one. Use a cereal box, coat the mating surface with Prussian blue dye to mark it out and use a razor blade to cut it out.

John. I use Small Engine Warehouse. I think Andy turned me onto them years ago.
I have bought engines for my Dingo and small chipper through them. Honda even honored the warranty when my replacement lost a cylinder on my 24hp twin. I just took it to the nearest dealer with the service records.
They will probably be able to figure a replacement for you based on the engine numbers. Good priced as well. And the keep a record of you so if you need another they know which one the order.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com

Honda has never let me down. I have a brush mower i use once a year. This year i realized i did not drain the fuel said screw it and started it. First crank ready to go!

Honda. They'll sit all winter and start on the first or second pull. I had a Honda copy engine on a generator. It was a good engine but plagued me with enough small problems that I finally sold it. Carb problems, cheap wiring that was always vibrating the connections loose. Finally bought a true Honda generator. It's been great. Both me and my Dads splitter has Honda. Works flawlessly. I raced Honda dirt bikes for 25 years. They're the best.

I have never understood the almost religious like devotion to Honda.

Good engines sure, but not the only ones out there.

B and S is just as good now.

The Chinese copies are not bad....especially for something like a log splitter.

20 years ago nothing was as good as Honda. Now pretty much everything is.

Honda has also cheapened up some in the last few years and has released some junk.

Stick with the Red and White.....not the Black Hondas.

Jim, i do beleove the black vs red and white is an older concern.

The GX are the pro grade Honda's, while the GC are the lower end. I believe they used to color coat, but now GX also come in black.

My love affiar with Honda comes from MX. The materials and craftsman ship of them are obvious next to other manufacturers.

As for mx you can’t beat a Honda. I blew up a few Yamaha’s and just couldn’t kill the Honda’s. They tried to kill me many times over and they were winning the war. I was into quads not dirt bikes but same idea. Down graded to a little Kawasaki now and it can’t get out of its own way which is what I needed at the time.

John. I use Small Engine Warehouse. I think Andy turned me onto them years ago.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com
That old boys name is Roy Pagent I think .His business is about 60 miles from me in Dunkirk Indiana .Several buildings and 5 acres of stuff under tarps .He hailed from Wartburg Tenn.,same as my deceased wife's people fact he knew some of them .He buys this stuff a semi load full at a time .
Now Briggs engines.A lot of people don't know but on the old flat heads there were three designs.On say an 8 HP there were the standards with plated cylinders and no main bushings ,The IC,iron cylinder brass bushing mains ,Then the most robust long life IC industrial with iron cylinder,ball bearings mains .

More times than not small engines like on morter mixers,log splitters etc basically just need a little PM.No body wants to change the oil and other things .Splitters might set 8 months at a time in the weather no cover over the engine and people wonder why they won't start .The newer Briggs overhead valve engines are probably better but just like a chainsaw they have diaphragm fuel pumps and old ethanol gas will screw them up just like a chainsaw .The good news the repair parts are only about 5 bucks .

Hey, Al. My wood splitter engine and it seems most small engines now, has a fuel shut-off valve. Does it help reduce ethanol damage by using it to kill the motor and thereby draining the carburetor of gas for storage?

Back