Aagghhh...rash after cutting Elderberry!!!

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
Has anyone ever had this happen? I cut a bunch of dead branches and a couple live ones from a big old elderberry, and three days later I am still covered in an itchy rash...forearms, face and ears and nasal congestion and watery eyes...not happy.
This has never happened before! I Googled it and there was a little bit of info that said there is a cyanide like compound in the bark and berries!!

I had no idea...

I know the Cyanide thing happens w Cherry but other than being careful w wilted leaves around Cows and Horses never had a rash.

That's crazy, never heard of that happening before. You would think that an edible berry bush wouldn't make you itch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha...this is definitely tree related, not a female thing :lol:
And fortunately there isn't any poison ivy here..
Apparently some people can get a reaction to some elderberry concoctions, syrup and supplements...bloody tree, I had the sawdust all over me...went and did a few other things as one does before going home to and end of the day shower...hopefully some otc antihistamine will take care of it.
Got to wash my helmet now...the whole shmozzle.

319PYWTOx5L_grande.jpg

Never heard of such a thing Fi. I've eaten pie and drank wine from the berries. I had a reaction to the wine though. Couldn't have been over indulgence though. Or could it? I really can't remember:/:

We have two different ones, Sambucus nigra and racemosa.
Never had any ill effects from either and i've cut my share.

Are you sure you didn't come across something else and didn't notice.
I've had the most awful rash from hitting smal unnoticable giant hogsweed with the string trimmer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sambucus nigra...apparently the bark and fresh stems and flowers and berries have a cyanide compound in them that caused an allergic reaction in some people.
Had to go to the clinic, I was in bad shape, eyes streaming, nose blocked, coughing and that itchy rash! Cortisone shot and some predinisone tablets, day four now and I think I'm ok again! Used zinc oxide cream on the rash...seemed to help.
We had our SES/Ambulance vollies Christmas do on Saturday and one of the full time ambos said he ate some ripe raw elderberries once thinking it would be a healthy thing...he ended up in the emergency department with acute poisoning!

As I said, I've had plenty of home-made elder flower cordial...delicious and no ill effects.

Back