Leaving gear aloft.

dstimber

TreeHouser
Never left anything other than a throw line/ weights overnight. I'm assuming that's a bad idea. Any input? Stories?

Throw line pleatey of times.I wouldn't trust any life support stuff in the tree because I know tomorrow
Turns in to next week:/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've always wondered/worried a critter would tear something up if I left it overnight. Would. Be nice tho on stuff that's a pain to get lines set into. I'll just invest in more throw line and weights. Leave it looking like a spider web over night.

I'll leave a climbing rope in place every blue moon.

Either I inspect the whole thing, or have spurs and lanyard on, with the rope as aid.

(Recreational Climber) When I was learning to throw it was a time consuming process to get a good tie in point. I bought cheap hollow braid from big box store and left lines all over. My neighbors were intrigued. In addition to animal damage of my climbing lines I was concerned about theft and also providing a temptation to kids to get hurt. Then I realized I was saving time but losing opportunities to practice throwing. Now I would only leave a dedicated non life support line if I really needed to come back to a place and time was of the essence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave throw lines in the tree if I have to come back the next day...never climbing lines, just too many things can go wrong.

There aren't so many squirrels here. Actually we don't see them often. I never found a rope shewed, and lastly I had to leave one in place for 2 months, with no problem, just at the edge of a wood.
I'm more concerned by the thefts and I use a throw line if the tree is in an open/public space, not on a private property.

There aren't so many squirrels here. Actually we don't see them often. I never found a rope shewed, and lastly I had to leave one in place for 2 months, with no problem, just at the edge of a wood.
I'm more concerned by the thefts and I use a throw line if the tree is in an open/public space, not on a private property.

For the rigging gear, what is aloft stays a loft, I coil the rope out of reach, but I remove what is at ground level, like slings, redirecting block, porty...

Plenty of squirrels here but in my hunting stands I sometimes leave a line for extended periods without any chewage. As far as work, in live pines that I haven't finished at day's end, I'll pull in a piece of mule tape to keep from sapping up a throw line.

Once, we left two pull-lines in a couple trees. The house was vacant, with painters inside.

We came back the next day and both ropes had been cut at head height, and the painters were gone.

I leave cheaper rope, usually 3/8 inch polypropylene. And I tie it up out of reach. Either recover it with an extension ladder or pole hook on a slip knot.

I'm with everyone else here. Used to leave gear aloft, but now mainly throwlines if i need to leave a climb line. The exception to that is that I'll leave a block up high and if it's in a safe spot I will sometimes leave a rigging rope through it. If i think it's a weird thing I would put a throwline through instead.

Once, we left two pull-lines in a couple trees. The house was vacant, with painters inside.

We came back the next day and both ropes had been cut at head height, and the painters were gone.

Love this story! Bet they used it to tie a ladder on a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High in paint fumes, needing a rope, not being able to find to one that was tying it down n the way to the job.

I like painting, enough. Never want to be a painter.

Back