Tree top sealing, is it necessary?

Buddy

Treehouser
I wasn't sure how to title this thread. I have to remove a dead top from a ponderosa pine today and I was curious if there is anything I could cover it with or seal it with that would help prevent any future rot? Or maybe it will pitch out and seal itself.

IMG_4222.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has one little green limb above a half dozen big dead limbs and the stem appears to be solid up to the last green limb. For aesthetics sake I almost have to cut down into the green. What will cutting into the green hurt? This is the part of tree work I need to learn...

First off you need to figure out what is causing the decline. Without a good idea of why it's declining then you have little chance of arresting the decline. I think trees like this are a great learning experience because you have a client willing to try and save the tree. Pay very close attention to what the tree tells you as you piece out the dead and pay particular attention to the transition from dead to live wood. If you see signs of boring insects then try to cut most of those out.

After you complete this phase of the job, pay attention to the tree in the future and see how it reacts to your pruning. Try to figure out what caused the decline and whether or not you arrested it. If the tree dies anyway then you will already have an idea why. Carry this knowledge forward when climbing other pines and look for similar signs, then follow up to see if those pines decline as well. After 20-30 years you will have a few more answers, but not all of them.

My guess is that it was the ips beetle. The top has probably been dead for at least 5 years.

What skwerl said. I would add that it is very common for tree guys to NOT look at the growing zone. Be like sherlock, ask questions, observe details

It has one little green limb above a half dozen big dead limbs and the stem appears to be solid up to the last green limb. For aesthetics sake I almost have to cut down into the green. What will cutting into the green hurt? This is the part of tree work I need to learn...

Missed the picture before.

What appears solid? No obvious defects visible from the ground? If you have to climb it into the dead section, keep in mind that it's pine, so faster rotting than some species. The top could have been in decline for years before 5 years ago of being pretty much dead. Easy to get into your head that it seems good. Just keep your judgment and awareness working while working.

Good input Brian!

How's the drought stress in the area?

Sealants can be good in some situations like making a cut during the growing season on an oak and oak wilt is known to be in the area.

A growing area of research (and products for that matter) are sealants that have certain strains of Trichoderma fungi that may out-compete other decay fungi at the cut surface on some tree species. We shall see.

We had a lot of snow last winter and a really wet spring and then no rain and hot weather for about 3 months this summer. I started working on this today and pulled off it because of the frozen brittle green limbs. I was planning to speedline everything down and I don't have enough height with the speed line to keep the dead limbs from swinging down and hitting the green limbs. As brittle as they are I would end up stripping all the boughs off some off the limbs on one side. This job doesn't have to be done this year so I am going to wait til spring.

Capping with tin is common in Montreal and some parts of France.

At Biomechanics Week last year we reduced some white pine stems and used pvc caps over the tops. 4" and 6". The idea being to keep bad stuff out and promote sealing. I plan to peek at them next April

Treelooker, thanks for the post. If you can remember after checking it in April I would be interested to hear what you found out.

Treelooker, thanks for the post. If you can remember after checking it in April I would be interested to hear what you found out.

Yup, pics and measurements taken twice a year. I don't expect any rotting, and I do expect faster scarring. We left two as controls.

....At Biomechanics Week last year we reduced some white pine stems and used pvc caps over the tops. 4" and 6". The idea being to keep bad stuff out and promote sealing...

I would also like to see pictures of this. What I am envisioning does not make any sense so a clarification would be appreciated.

Back