Tree top sealing, is it necessary?

Yup, that's what I thought you were talking about and you set those over a cut 6" pine top? Tight fit or did you use glue?

If a pine tree is relatively healthy then the pitch will seal the top relatively quickly. If the tree does not have enough pitch to seal the top then it also does not have enough pitch to reject pine borers and will most likely be dead in a year anyway. Therefore trying to outthink Mother Nature by sticking a PVC hat on top of a topped tree is a waste of time IMO. Abut the only thing you can accomplish is extracting a few more dollars from the property owner's pocket.

If a pine tree is relatively healthy then the pitch will seal the top relatively quickly. If the tree does not have enough pitch to seal the top then it also does not have enough pitch to reject pine borers and will most likely be dead in a year anyway. Therefore trying to outthink Mother Nature by sticking a PVC hat on top of a topped tree is a waste of time IMO. Abut the only thing you can accomplish is extracting a few more dollars from the property owner's pocket.

A VERY few dollars; the cap costs $3. I think...Since I work T&M, that would add $3 to the M.

Tight enough fit, no glue. As Rocky rightly says, the tree makes its own.

Waste of time? We'll see the results. :) White pine in OH; kinda different from slash pine in FL.

JD it's in the research forest at Shalersville; you've never been?

Let me know when you’re headed back to check the results. If anything it would be an honor to shake your hand sir. Maybe we can get Jason to climb up with us to see it first hand.

Back