Problem with MS461 Idle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Magnus.
I guess I think I need a security blanket :)
I just ordered the Amicks one that some are recommending.
Madsen's had the Stihl EDC(?)-9 ... which I think has a refresh rate of > .5 seconds (and nobody there knew what it was).... so I got the Amicks one ... with the $17+ shipping (ouch).

9 is to slow and not .5 it was in the thread I thought I posted here toward the end. With feedback of the 7 8 9. 9 little faster then 7 and 8 but not up to the faster .5 level. So you did right by passing.

I use a tach to check my tuning by ear. I have had alot of guys check their tuning by ear here and have been off as way to low and some way to high even above the limits.

IMO just another tool to check yourself with and keep others saws in safe range.

I use the tach more for idiot proofing.
I tell the guys that cant tell the difference in the field, what the tach should read if they adjust the carb. Often 500 RPM below mfg. spec.
They honestly cant hear the difference from lean to rich or RPM change. So they check from time to time to keep from burning them up.
Better than the alternative when I am on not the job site. No harm in running a tad rich ;)

Yeah, me either. That's why they seal off the screws trying to keep our grubby paws out of those carbs. Someday they will all be computer controlled, fuel injection and we will be f'ed.

We been talking about the FI saw for months.

s500itrans.jpg s5001b.jpg s500iii.png s500xx.png s500isaw.jpg

Man, I look forward to when something like that is on the market.

Lol we often joke that something only causes cancer in California, so we must be ok.

Some truth in that... :lol:
I had a Dr appointment with a cardiologist yesterday. Of course I had been working all week in a burn zone and took down, one climbed, two singed, blackened grey pines this very day. I was filthy. And as I was about to drop the pin, I refueled and a gas cap came loose. I was drenched.
Dr promptly reminded me how bad those fumes were for my health and kept his distance. Also reminded me how bad carbon and fire retardant are for me as well. Told the poor nurse to hook up my EKG for a reference before I go back for my stress test.
Of course my little voice trying to come out I was barely able to contain. I almost blurted out, as I was being spoke to, "sorry doc, but I often use a better cologne, but the smell of mix and exhaust just works for me during the regular work day. Also, you think this shit is bad for your lungs? You should feel how wonderful it is on your scrotum and dick for a couple hours since I had to come straight here and wait another hour too see you. Having a lady present helped keep my filter in check. And my daughter was in the room. Had we been alone.......

Lol yeah that's never a good feeling. You can also remind him that Michael Douglas got throat cancer from eating pussy, so you will probably self destruct from that before your heart can get you :lol: thank God that only causes cancer in California tho :/:

My best friend got that, too.
When I asked him if it had been worth it, he replied that it sure beat getting it from chewing tobacco.

Sure, they screwed up with one saw.
You gonna hold that against them forever?

The new computerized Stihl saws are great IMO.

I am a stihl certified tech and the reason they don't want to warranty it is because stihl is picky about paying the dealers for fuel related issues. If the dealer warranties it and the manufacturer doesn't the dealer has to eat the costs.

From your description a gasket and diaphragm set along with a good cleaning should get you fixed right up

Back