How do I test my MS 660 magnum ignition module?

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I don't seem to get a spark when pulling the starter cord with a spark plug in the boot and the electrode on the engine block.

When I looked on eBay, there were aftermarket ignition modules for under $12.
At the Stihl dealer, $135.

Are the aftermarket modules crap or a deal?

Shot,send it to me and I'll spend the $12 bucks and ill let you know to throw it away or not:lol:

Just messing with you I have no idea.hopefully cut4fun or someone who knows will chime in soon.
I'm better at breaking things not fixing..

Dont know about the stihl ones.

I bought an aftermarket for a husky 372 once. It didnt last an hour. Junk.

I would trust an aftermarket module but not a $12 one, damn. Test it in the dark, the spark isn’t easy to see sometimes.

Have a good yank on the starter rope, there's a low limiter on the module and no spark will come out if the rev doesn't go over something like 600 rpm. It isn't easy to attain that while holding the spark plug on the engine block. Not sure about the actual number, but I had a hard time with that when I got my mix064-066 which was barely usable with its messed up ignition.

I just bought an adjustable spark tester for $7. Has a ground clip and a screw to change the spark gap. It has a black case that kind of surrounds it. Should be easier to see.

I will try it out and report bacdk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Or just hold the plug in your hand and pull.

Just took one out of a Briggs today, never thought to do that. They seem to be somewhere between $35-$80AU, don't think I'd go for a $12 one.

Better to hold the plug and pull! Easy! Forgot about that.

Its possibly the spark plug boot's wire disconnected from the main wire coming from the IM. Can I use a test light to check that wire by poking through the insulation on the main wire?

I think it quit running out of nowhere, so there is no mechanism for disconnection, that I remember.

I'll take it apart and clean it, and check the electrical connections.

With your medical system and WC rates and your employee pool. You may want to research that a bit first.

My bud had a guy who was kind of clueless he used to do work for. The guys lawn mower wasn't running. He had the guy hold the wire and pulled it over to test for spark. Turns out it had good spark!!

I tried my advanced auto spark tester. Works good. $7or8. Autocraft brand. That might be their store brand. Adjustable gap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For real though, is it really a big shock? I think I've tested this way before, without injury.

Spark plug:

The ionized gas becomes a conductor and allows current to flow across the gap. Spark plugs usually require voltage of 12,000–25,000 volts or more to "fire" properly, although it can go up to 45,000 volts

FWIW some HEI ignitions on cars are upwards of 100 thousand volts .
Stihl ignitions are pretty robust .Try removing the kill switch wire from the coil .It could be the connection under the spark plug boot came apart .Most Stihl coils have the spark plug lead wire screwed into coil,just unscrew it and use any type insulated wire stuffed into the hole and see if it throws a spark.

"Chuck" my groundhog in residence decided to eat the leaves off my cucumbers .I kind of like old Chuck and didn't want drill him between the eyes with a 22 hollow point so I put a little electric fence around my raised bed garden.Chuck got the message ,he's the size of a small beaver .Didn't work out so well for two squirrels and a couple of birds ,grave yard dead .BTW Chuck decided to chew a hole in the floor of one of my sheds so maybe he is a beaver.

TSC cheapy ,like 19 dollars .I think it's supposed to handle 10 miles of fence .I had no idea it could off a squirrel .Mass and body weight I suppose .It zapped the neighbors French bull dog,did it ever howl .

Back