Passed on This Job -- Not Comfortable with Risk (how difficult really?)

rfwoody

Treehouser
I recently passed on a tree removal job as out of my league (for now).

Taylors_Trees_20171117_140310.png

Two big spreading canopy Oaks (yellow arrows) ("red arrow" tree is easy and goes first)
The trees were each approx 3' DBH and 90' tall.
The trees looked perfectly sound and healthy.

Using the size/spread of the canopy to measure, they each had approx 1-3' of unfavorable (back) lean (i.e. centerpoint of canopy spread fell 1-3' behind felling direction... toward direction of house)

IF only 2 of the following conditions...
I think I would have taken the job:

1. Large trees (for me)
2. Near the house
3. Leaning toward the house (or in one case toward power lines)

But since all 3 above conditions.... I deferred.

I was proud of myself that I had "known my limitations"
... until these neighbors started asking for tree removal services on social media and I felt like a quitter :)

QUESTION please..... on a scale of 1 to 10 (1, "easy peazy", and 10, "call Sherbrooke Tree")

... how would YOU rate the difficulty/risk of these trees (Yellow arrows)

NOTE: There was plenty of room to fall them whole.
NOTE: Red Arrow tree was to be removed first (easy)

I passed on a lot of work when I got started. Know thy limitations. Better than a screw up to fix, pay for and apologise for. Bad rep will ruin you quick.
Now, put a referral list together to help the customer to get the job done. People you know that are reputable and trustworthy. They remember you helped. when they need another job done, they will often check back with you.
I went back and did a difficult rigged removal I refused a couple times. 3 years went by and I had the tools and the know how. HO hired me instead of the referrals I gave him. Then that lead to more jobs.

It's hard to tell the difficulty level without actually looking at it but it may have been an easy removal if you could have gotten a pull line in the tree and fell them. A rope high in the tree gives you a lot a leverage. I passed on 3 jobs this year. Two involved power lines and one appeared to be rotten and standing over a large propane tank. All 3 would have been easy removals with a bucket truck but I don't own one, maybe someday.

From my armchair, it looks like you could set a strong bullrope and pull them over with a heavy truck.

I passed on 3 jobs this year. Two involved power lines and one appeared to be rotten and standing over a large propane tank. All 3 would have been easy removals with a bucket truck but I don't own one, maybe someday.

The story of my year as well. I've passed on at least 6 jobs for the same reason. I need a lift too. Renting sucks for weekend jobs because you can't pick the tow behind up until after 9 then an hour drive back. Wastes a good part of the day.
The tow behinds can be a big pain I'm finding out. Set up and re positioning kills time.

Most of the ones I did pass on were do to myself not thinking I could get the job done in a timely manner. Especially since time has changed and I've only got 45min of daylight after I leave the mill.

Post 63 for the story, post 78 for the pics...but you have to do something with photobucket now to see them. I dunno, wasn't my post. I can probably find the originals in my files if need be.

Post 63 for the story, post 78 for the pics...but you have to do something with photobucket now to see them. I dunno, wasn't my post. I can probably find the originals in my files if need be.

They showed up for me to see. I'm on my cell using Tapatalk. Great thread Burnham! Thanks for posting it here.

I've passed on trees, and jobs, and people. Passed this one up about a month ago. It could have been done, for sure, and Stephen gave me shit for it ;) But in the end, what might be easy for a crew with a bucket or a guy with a lot of experience and the right tools, might be all but impossible for someone just starting out, or, in this case, working alone. Or both.

I imagine from where a lot of us are sitting those Oaks would have been gravy, but props to you for knowing when to defer to those with more experience. Not always an easy call to make, but certainly a smart, mature one.

22687987_1517458871623382_3032615973812673822_n.jpg

Good Pass.

Yes, I could do those trees, but it would take some logistical planning, good equipment and good help. If the first one on your other thread took you 14hrs...those would give you a hiding you might not recover from!

Stephen gives good advice. I have one or two names ready for referral if I decide to pass on a job. Clients like the fact that you are not leaving them in the lurch, and yes, they often come back to you first for other work, even if you have handballed it to someone else.

Best thing I learned was to say no. Eases stress, and helps create the market you strive for. I remember one guy making a fuss that I wasn’t interested. That was kinda funny.

You gotta listen to yourself...
your Butt Trusts your gut.

Last thing you want is a tree way over your head.

Ha. These days I turn down jobs I would have done 10 years ago... nowadays I'm like Volume?? Nah..... tiny boutique tree trims for high dollar.... ok.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good to say no to those. You need equipment and a dump trailer or truck to handle that stuff reasonably. Easy to rent and run a mini-excavator with a thumb. A mini-excavator can do a lot for persuading a tree to move to the 'lay'/ layout. Great traction, and you can pull with the boom.

If they are only backleaning a tiny bit, and healthy, they should be no big deal to wedge over. A high-pull rope with wedges makes it a breeze, so long as you cut it correctly.

If you are pulling with a truck, you should redirect the pull line with a suitably strong rigging ring/ pulley/ block down from the tree as close to the ground as you can, then out to the truck, if traction and power are at all in question. Ideally a positive angle from redirection block up to the truck's anchoring point. This gives added down-pressure to the wheels. If you're pulling directly from truck to tree, you're effectively lifting the truck with the positive rope angle from truck to tree, losing ground pressure for your tires..

I've passed on trees, and jobs, and people. Passed this one up about a month ago. It could have been done, for sure, and Stephen gave me shit for it ;) But in the end, what might be easy for a crew with a bucket or a guy with a lot of experience and the right tools, might be all but impossible for someone just starting out, or, in this case, working alone. Or both.

I imagine from where a lot of us are sitting those Oaks would have been gravy, but props to you for knowing when to defer to those with more experience. Not always an easy call to make, but certainly a smart, mature one.

View attachment 82970
Meh, ya know I was just ribbing ya. Would have never done one like that solo my friend :) Would have done it with ya though :D

Same time... easy dumps with a rope and a pull...and some wedges etc...

Get a means to move and lose volume and you're king of the low ballers.... and a stump grinder....

Boom. Business plan in 50 words or less.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Grendel...that tree had some bad juju going on there. No way solo and I'm with Bermy...planning, head scratching, cogitating needed for sure. Strong pulling equipment to belay the tree as you worked, too.

Paul's crane!

Back