Passed on This Job -- Not Comfortable with Risk (how difficult really?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you've got a throw bag and throw line, you've got a plumb bob, Bob.

"duh" ... Of course! another bit of good resourcefulness info to remember.

now I just have to figure out how to COMBINE *trunk* backlean (or fore-lean) (plumb bob at edge of trunk trunk) WITH canopy centerpoint (plumb bob at canopy centerpoint to ground (ala Jeff Jepson)) to get a meaningful (quantifiable) assessment of actual lean to overcome and/or deal with.

At a bid, it might be cumbersome, that's all.

Again, a Clinometer app is useful, for smart phone carriers.

Yeah, I've got one now. Thanks.

... also it would add a look of professionalism to the customer.

An accurate measurement of backlean/ sidelean can help someone calibrate their mental measuring.

Knowing where a whole tree will land matters.

For bidding purposes, its good to have measurements, IME. Helps me gather how much material I'm up against, and helps the customer understand the size of the tree, and attention to details. Sometimes people have 90' trees that they think are 65'. I'd rather bid "Dismantle 24" DBH x ~90' Doug-fir", rather than "Remove tree in back yard".

Clinometers work on a slope, the "stick trick" doesn't.

BTW, Robert, I think I mentioned, your eye is on the hypotenuse of the 45-45-90* triangle. The end of the triangle (where the tip should land) is at foot-level, and a body-length behind you.

I've spotted 45* downward, when dropping logs off a spar for mill logs/ machine handling. I wanted them as long as possibly, without crushing a shed at the end of the lay. Its more accurate than a groundie's eyeball, or mine, especially from up in a tree.

Why not “remove doulas fir in back yard”

They can see how high it is, 90’ 65’ or even if the tree is called Susan is irrelevant.

"duh" ... Of course! another bit of good resourcefulness info to remember.

now I just have to figure out how to COMBINE *trunk* backlean (or fore-lean) (plumb bob at edge of trunk trunk) WITH canopy centerpoint (plumb bob at canopy centerpoint to ground (ala Jeff Jepson)) to get a meaningful (quantifiable) assessment of actual lean to overcome and/or deal with.

Good post! Don't know you from Adam, but you're clearly a thinker. I'm a wanna-be thinker. When using a plum-bob, Imho, you just plumb the middle of the whole mess, and pretty much call er good. :drink:

"I've spotted 45* downward, when dropping logs off a spar for mill logs/ machine handling. I wanted them as long as possibly, without crushing a shed at the end of the lay. Its more accurate than a groundie's eyeball, or mine, especially from up in a tree."

Hey Sean, can you explain this a bit more? Are you using the smart phone clino to measure where the spar will hit when cut from the ground?

Yes, I use it to measure the height relative to the lay. Rather than call down to the groundie about how it looks 45* or less to top of spar, I rigged logs until I knew by Clinometer, that I could flop the spar and fit.

Mick, we dominated by Doug-fir.

People compliment me regularly on attention to detail, and taking the time for them to understand the big picture.

Seems customer's not only valuing price are more interested in details. We probably had 100+ tree companies locally, in the yellow pages, 10 years ago. No idea how many real companies and under the table companies.

This is big timber country.

One larger company started stapling numbers on tree they bid. The salesman is not the foreman.

I cleared a row of 20-some little, previously hedged Doug-fir, about $50/tree, chipped, moved and bucked. The homeowner wanted me to do an $800 Doug-fir for $50. Here thought it was going to be $50, somehow, and part of the row. He didn't count. Mid-job is not a time to debate contact specs.

Upper middle class, water-view, great local neighborhood. Not a place to want to lose a customer or have bad blood.

Mick, we dominated by Doug-fir.

I cleared a row of 20-some little, previously hedged Doug-fir, about $50/tree, chipped, moved and bucked. The homeowner wanted me to do an $800 Doug-fir for $50. Here thought it was going to be $50, somehow, and part of the row. He didn't count. Mid-job is not a time to debate contact specs.

Upper middle class, water-view, great local neighborhood. Not a place to want to lose a customer or have bad blood.

So did you do it for $50? Not sure I follow.

Good post! Don't know you from Adam, but you're clearly a thinker. I'm a wanna-be thinker. When using a plum-bob, Imho, you just plumb the middle of the whole mess, and pretty much call er good. :drink:

Thanks Jed... (Sometimes I sit and think... and sometimes I just sit)

Back