Intermittent fuel delivery issue

brendonv

Tree Hugger
2007 Bandit 1290H. John deere power, like under 800 hours.

When the tank gets low on fuel, the machine starts up, idles for 15 seconds, then shuts off. It wont restart without muktiple lengthy cranks there after. But it will start eventually to chip a small bit. I thought i had a weak lift pump so i put a new one on. Still the same thing. I removed the fuel pickup thinking it was broke, but its plastic and no cracks or breaks.

Im confused, any input? It did it today, had 4-5 gallons of fuel, but kicked my ass because the battery got weak and its cold out. Stuffed the truck instead :|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rubber line from fuel tank to lift pump. Rubber return. No inline filter. Plastic fuel pickup on an aluminum housing.

Again, only when fuel gets low. The pickup is plenty long too, when i had it out i checked.

When the fuel level gets low is the pump above or below the fuel?

When it is hard starting can you take a line off your primary filter and see if fuel runs out?

Has it been acting this way a long time? Have you replaced the rubber lines?

When you say the pickup is plenty long...what do you mean? The stand pipe in the tank?

Lift pump mechanical or electric?

When it is hard to start have you cracked the lines to the injectors to see what you have there?

My guess would be that when the fuel level gets low the system is loosing prime because gravity is no longer keeping the system full of fuel.

The fact that it starts and runs and then dies makes me think that you are burning the fuel in the primary filter and then the system gets air locked.

Is you fuel cap vented?

Lift pump above fuel pickup.

Id have to check to see if lines off fuel filter easily accessible.

Never replaced rubber lines.

Stand pipe, yep.

Mechanical.

Havent cracked injectors, on the job so don't want to mess the ground.

Good hypothesis, makes sense.

Its a factory cap, id assume its vented. Right?

Not particular in reference to my situation. But can you replace a mechanical lift pump with an electric pimp?

I did that on my perkins to trouble shoot it. With a clear filter as well in line so I could see if I was getting air in the line. But I put the mechani8cal lift pump back in. Worried about pressure regulation.

Run it wuth the fuel cap loose. I've run into fuel starvation problems when the tank won't vent. Does the tank suck air when you take the cap off right after it quits?

Sometimes you have to bump the engine a little to get a full stroke on that lever. You could take the line off and see if you can pump fuel out by hand. You can also feel if the pump is making contact with the cam by lifting up on the lever while you turn the engine over. I think on some engines it is possible to mount the pump with the lever on the wrong side of the cam lobe.

Ditto, that’s why I’m asking hahaha

I suppose this winter I’ll replace all fuel lines, add a clear inline filter, and I had book marked a new pickup tube so I’ll do that also.

I’m wondering. The fuel gauge that’s on it is from the hydro tank, I swapped them when it stopped working. I know the height of the tank is different, but I always check it with a stick. I can’t imagine the factory compensated for the fact that it can lose suction when getting under a certain point. Who knows. Maybe I’m at the point. Guess I’ll pony up and grab my ankles for the fuel gauge too.

But regardless it doesn’t seem like it should be doing this with 4-5 gallons left.

Back