Climbing boot recommendations?

Benjo75

Treehouser
Hey all. Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thinking about ordering a new pair of climbing boots while the weekend sales are still going on. Not for spur climbing. Already have that covered. Been looking at the Clip N Step. Don't know much about them. Seems they might not last as long as they should. Also looking at the Tango Light. It would be nice to have a loop for my ascender but I would take longevity over that feature. Something that grips well while limb walking and stands up to being twisted around in tight crotches would be nice. I've been using Keen hiking boots. I get about a year out if them before the sole splits and starts sucking in moisture. Other than that problem I love them. They're about $160 for the pair I buy. Very comfortable.

Any advice would be great greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ben.

I have been using the ArbPro EVO 2, which also has the knee ascender loops, for over a year now and it has lots of life left. It has excellent grip in the trees and is comfortable enough to wear all the time but if you do, the soft sole will wear down fast.

Unfortunately for you, they seem to be a warm boot so might not be the best for your locale.

I do like my evo2s. They are great with or without spurs. I can't stand keen boots. They are the only brand I've ever owned that destroyed my feet to the point I couldn't wear them without my feet aching for days. I've also tried one of the salewa mountain trainers they seem to stiff imo. My salewas were the mountain trainer mid gtx something or another. They had the leather liner and they were a pita to get on and off. They also gave my feet just a little bit of trouble.
I was torn between the clip n step and the evo2s. But went with the evo2s and love them so far.

I've trimmed in hightop Converses before. They suck on the ground but those flat fuggers STICK in a tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I haven't had high top converse since high school. Might work though.

My Keens fit my feet just fine. Make them sweat though. I tend to squat more than average. That causes the soles to crack right at the balls of my feet. I need to make a decision by tomorrow night. I want comfort over anything else. Then durability. One day in uncomfortable shoes makes makes for the worst day ever.

My new favorite pair of boots are the Lowa Baffin Pro, all leather, not waterproof but more waterproof than most waterproof boots that I have owned. Most of my tree work is removal so I were spurs a lot and can't tell you how well they would do otherwise. They have a good solid sole and are great comfortable hikers with good support.

Here is a picture of mine after a full season of woods work and tree work.

IMG_4162.jpg

The La sportiva Karaakoom.... Are my latest favorites..great for spurs... I get 2 years out of a pair...

f51df97ab8a4bfce84734755b75580e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to spur climb with the Makalus today. Absolutely amazing.
Over the last ~20 years I’ve spurred with Wesco highliners, White, Carolina, Georgia, LeHigh, Chippewa, Dr Marten Industrial, a couple different GI combat and desert boots, and Keens and I’ve never felt comfort and support like this before. I’m seriously floored and will definitely be buying another pair.

I still have two pair of women’s (or man with small feet) Makalus will accept any reasonable offer! They are buried in the trading post.

Back