Equipment Painting

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Ive never painted anything. My brother did my winch when i added it to my chipper. Paul seems to be into painting. Any tips on prep, paint, mixing, brands of material, and application equipment?

I need to do my grapple trailer, and redo the poor paint from metavic on the loader. Also fresh up some mini attatchments.

I hate painting, and I like rust colored :) In all seriousness tho, the best paint for anything that is used is that epoxy stuff that I've seen. It's no wonder all chemical plants are covered in the stuff. I've also had stuff hot dipped per specs on certain jobs, that's the only way to truly immortalize something that I know of...

Are you ok, B? Painting equipment?!

Prep work is where the quality comes from... super pita time wise, but worth it. I'd get on researching via the googler.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha ya im good. I never did my trailer, its ahh, brown now. I am getting it blasted and hes probably going to do the primer too. Just curious on others methods.

The chipper and the mini have so much wax paint would never stick :)

Barter is the best.

I recently took a small pine down for a lawyer who then wrote my last will and testament.

The car my wife drives I got from my mechanic for some treework.

I traded some stump grinding for dental work on the horses.

Swapped a takedown for a trailer license for my last apprentice.

The list goes on and on.

I love it.

A dentist I was going to wanted to swap some dental work for a tree removal, I swapped dentists.

Not too keen on barter, you do your job and I'll do mine. If I can't do it I'll pay someone while I go to work.

Been thinking about painting my truck body, was going to sand blast it but there's a bit more to sand blasting than I thought. Looks like that sand I've been saving is going somewhere else.

... my two centimes on Sand Blasting. I made Snow with a dude that worked for a "Monuments" company , yep ... Gravestones mostly. Fact is they had the equipment and "blasted" tons of other stuff in and outside the shop. In shop blast w self delivery and pick-up plus flexible time got good deals for the service.

You can purchase a usable sand blaster for a few hundred bucks. I've thought about going that route, as we've already got a few compressors sitting around.

Any paint job is only going to be as good as the prep, if you don't rush this first step, you'll get a much more durable, aesthetically pleasing result. Tape off everything that needs to be taped off. Blue painters masking tape and a razor blade are you friends for sure.

Remove the components that need to be done individually.

Thin the paint a bit with an appropriate solvent, and plan on two or three light coats. Also, spend some time priming the rust spots, and use a wire wheel, or one of those air powered de-scalers to knock off all the loose/peeling paint.

After blasting I would hit it with POR15, prime, paint, and clear. The more layers the merrier it's gonna take a beating on the log trailer. If you decide to shoot epoxy use Horror Freight $20 disposable HVLP guns. Dry air is a must.

Back