TreeStuff inventory?

I believe you to be to learned of an individual to seriously dismiss anyone who has a faith based view point. That would be pretty narrow minded.

Kevin Bingham and I are such polar opposites on most everything that I should stop even reading his posts?

He can do real damage to me in the way he votes. As far as I know, the Pope cant vote in our elections.

I am not putting Kevin on ignore anytime soon.

i don't think we are as polar opposites as you think. we just have different interpretations of similar beliefs as far as I can tell. thanks for not putting me on ignore, this place would be boring as hell if i couldn't get a reaction out of you.

I believe you to be to learned of an individual to seriously dismiss anyone who has a faith based view point. That would be pretty narrow minded.

Actually, religion is one thing I'm extremely narrow minded about.
Did I ever tell you about the time when I came close to killing a missionary who knocked at my door?

i don't think we are as polar opposites as you think. we just have different interpretations of similar beliefs as far as I can tell. thanks for not putting me on ignore, this place would be boring as hell if i couldn't get a reaction out of you.

I would never do that Kevin.

Just trying to figure out why this guy's book would be dismissed just because he believes something different.

Not because he belived something different, but because he absolutely had to blabber about it.

My philosophy is: believe what you want but don't try to impose it on others.

That is why I get pissed off when members here start missionarying threads.

I think I messed that word up BTW.

Not because he belived something different, but because he absolutely had to blabber about it.

Got to break a few eggs Stig.....if'n yer gonna make an omelette.

I'm completely with Stig on that.
I saw the tirade about God at the beginning of the Tree Climber Companion and I was shocked too.
I was in great need of climbing knowledge and I kept reading the book though.
But that left me a bitter taste in the mouth: how can you trust the book's contend and build your skill on it if the first thing written by the author is basically " no matter what I wrote after this preface, only the intervention of God will keep you alive" !!!
Seriously!!!

Well, I disagree. Tools and the techniques needed to use them for climbing are completely disconnected from the personal religious beliefs of an author. By limiting who you are willing to learn from you restrict your own resources and could miss something of great importance.

A climber needs self-confidence, use that to sift through what you learn and apply what is useful to you.

Just where does one draw the line? I don't put anyone on ignore who professes no belief, and who is free to share their no belief here...I just skim over that stuff and look for the bits that I can learn from.
My Mum said something very good once (well, mums tend to say good stuff more than once...) 'people are friends with other people in patches' in other words no-one will agree on everything with even one person, not even your spouse! Ebb and flow.

Lordy, talk about a derail!

Ha, I was rooting thru my library tonight looking for another book and spied jepson's book, reread the jesus freak intro part. It is addled thinking to unreligious folks but wouldn't stop me from leafing through searching for useful tidbits.

I should probably clarify something.
I didn't buy Jepson's book for myself. At the time I was climbing at a level where he wouldn't have had much new to teach me.
I bought it to pass on to an apprentice to read.
After reading the foreword, I thought no way am I passing that idiocy on and tossed it.
I lent him my copy of Fundamentals instead, which he liked very much.
He later went to California with me, got to meet Jerry and now has his own signed copy :)

Beraneks Fundamentals is amazing but why would you deprive your apprentice of good info because of your personal dogmatic religious beliefs?

Interesting thread.... or at least derail...

I never even noticed the Christian intro.

Info is info.... take the best leave the rest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just where does one draw the line? I don't put anyone on ignore who professes no belief, and who is free to share their no belief here...I just skim over that stuff and look for the bits that I can learn from.
My Mum said something very good once (well, mums tend to say good stuff more than once...) 'people are friends with other people in patches' in other words no-one will agree on everything with even one person, not even your spouse! Ebb and flow.

Lordy, talk about a derail!

Very well said Bermy, I like it!

Back