EAB tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing that made me more comfortable about using emben was learning that it is used commercially, sprayed on broccoli and what not. Injecting a thimble full into a tree in someones front yard probably wont kill all the brown barbaloots, or at least is a splash in the bucket, comparatively.

Great to hear of an arb highly conscientious about unintended effects.

Still needs to be used wisely due to the long residual. Imagine how many bees would die if a linden or crab apple was injected with the stuff.

"Rich'll weigh in here sooner or later."

As Ed once said, "speak the devil's name and he shall appear".
Jason is most likely right on the chemical part. The man knows his stuff. I should but never got into it( yet). As far as an EAB kill goes I would pay extra attention to everything you should on a dead tree. It takes about 3 years before there Are no signs of life. Usually in the second year the tips are dead and sucker growth starts really shooting out along the mains. Third year the sucker growth dies off and everything goes to hell after that. Ash is a very strong wood so if removing early enough you can get away with some big stuff. If you look up and the tips are all gone you really need to be careful. Peel bark, dig your Spurs in to check for decay, and pay attention to everything. Try not to get into a rhythm will ascending. You can really get them rocking if you do. I tend to tie in much lower than normal on the "bad" ones and am also prone to a quick temper in those. I'm pretty burnt out on them right now. Also check the earth to air transition area. Like every dead tree, that goes before the log does. The only thing about them that stats constant is the f#*!ing clean up!

Thanks, Rich.

Along Rich's comments, they feed very shallow so sapwood rot sets it quickly though fruiting bodies may not be evident. Sapwood strength loss can make for very dangerous trees to work on and in.

Be safe.

Definitely.

Fungal attack is almost instant IMO after death. I am seeing decay pockets from repeated injection sites. EAB was found on one of our golf courses 4 years ago and to date we have removed 1,548 EAB killed trees on 600 acres.

Hmm, you're saying you have some experience..

;)

Lill bit. I am so sick of cutting ash trees. When we get a oak or silver maple we do a happy dance.
Dust will be an issue while chipping.

We seem to be on the back end of the EAB wave. It is a 10 out of 10 in severity. Emamectin benzoate has proven to be very effective. What I find really interesting are the untreated trees that are still alive. Is this superior genetics? Or what about some of the untreated Green Ash with up to 50% crown die back that have stabilized and now started trending in a positive direction? I remember when Kevin Bingham first mentioned this up in Detroit, and then it started to happen here. My original assumption 5 or 6 years ago was that every untreated tree was going to die, but now that is not true. Most of them will, but there will be quite a few needles in a haystack that remain. It is such a refreshing sight to see.

we are 15 years post invasion. there are still ash trees kicking along. there are now newer ash trees 10" dbh growing up on fencelines and open spaces. I have a theory that if a tree can survive a few years its cambium gets so mottled that the eab can't perform a complete girdle if that makes sense. detroit is an interesting case study because unlike other municipalities, detroit didnt cut all the ash trees immediatly so there are streets with all the ash trees still there ranging from completely dead to mostly still there. there is a tree on my block who's owner has lived with it since the 50s, the tree is still there about 15% dieback. that sized tree is a rarity. pretty much all the big trees died. the younger vigorous trees have often pushed through. Their cambium is not uniform anymore as it is a series of compartmentalization. you can see the various scars from previous infestations but there is no longer a clear path to girdleing as a clear uninfected forest tree. walking through the woods I don't see any live trees other than the newerr ones that have popped up post invasion. the city trees seem to have had better luck. my guess is because of their more complex structure??? . a forest tree is a straight pole that is quickly girdled. I dont think there is any genetic resistance just luck.
sadly the city has gotten its shit together and started cutting all ash trees regardless of wether or not they are still alive. so this unintended experiment is coming to an end. they cleared the block just to the south of me and they thankfully passed over two trees I think because the property owners protested. between 2003-2007 I pretty much did nothing but cut ash. the hinge wood is great even with very dead trees. what is dangerous is the roots disappear and rot away and become unclimbable. very curious to see what the future of ash trees is. I do think there is something to the theory that once the infestation passes, the EAB population is not as much a threat. when all the ash trees were succumbing I remember seeing EAB everywhere in virtual swarms. I haven't seen one in years. all the trees that made it through seem to be getting greener year to year.

now oak wilt is making inroads and starting to take out that part of our canopy.

Lot of interesting and encouraging info in these posts.

https://youtu.be/ePBG6nKA0lc

this video was from 2.5 years ago. but I could make the same video still on certain streets that the city hasn't reached. there are hundreds and hundreds of streets that were planted in ash that show all different levels of impact. some people call them zombie trees but how long after infestation do they survive and still be called zombies and not survivors?

Back