EAB tips

cory

Tree House enthusiast
EAB is 'suddenly' around here in a big way.

Just wondering about a few basic questions from you EAB vets- Are they going to eat all the ash trees? I've heard an EAB ash dies differently than an ash that dies by other means, making them unstable or trickier to work with than a non EAB ash? With EAB do they tend to die quickly or is it lingering?

Thanks for the info and anything more you wish to provide. I'm joining the club!:cry:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like the woodpeckers are liking it!

I think it is multiple exit holes. Just flakes off in patches. We do have a piliated around. Should put it in bird watching, but anybody know if they can make a human like whistle call? Been hearing it but have not seen the source.

Reading official .edu stuff here says 2-3 years to kill a tree.

Only recommends pesticides if tree is still at least 50% unaffected..and then may take 1-2 years to tell if it really helped. Sounds iffy to me.

Thanks, Gary.

Levi, why do you say the injections are lame?

Rich'll weigh in here sooner or later.

Haven't I heard they passed 'no climb ordinances' on working dead EAB trees in lots of places? I always figured, that must be pretty iffy. (If they passed a law you've got to use a lift on them.)

Thanks Gary. I would say not a woodpecker I am hearing. I have heard most of those calls. They sound kind of like a jungle bird call. Hopefully I will see the damn thing soon.

I would say 2-3 years as well. I started seeing a lot of exit holes last year. This year a lot of trees look like next year they will be dead.

The tip I gave my BIL when I visited him in March was burn the dam tree. 2 to 3 series of injections on his tree. All the others around his place were stone dead or removed. Tree leaning toward the house. Buggered spot near the base with exposed heart wood that was not really compartmentalising fast enough leading to a rot forming. Middle of a lawn, so I am sure the added moisture did not help. Ugly wood pecked thing that was only going to die or grow bigger and threaten the house.
The Bradford Pear in front of it stayed though.....:|:

I just can't make up my mind about the treatments. Most say the emamectin benzoate used in small amounts is more or less harmless. Others say it kills bees. I'm sure its fine to use but...... I just don't feel very great about it.

A neonicitoid, eh?

The Bradford Pear in front of it stayed though.....:|:

:lol:

Go to "22 in this video...a bird sound I never identified.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TqDd0O3OQy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn, its on the tip of my tongue...

Seems like some high-lining TIP skills would be good to have in the toolbox. Inevitably, a bucket won't reach them all.

Seems like have a good written and signed disclaimer for damages due to condition of the tree would be useful, stating what will be impacted, what might be impacted losses, and exactly what won't be acceptable.

My wording would include alternate options, such as a crane. Client declined the use of a crane for removal, and accepts that damages may occur, without compensation to X,Y,Z.

IMO, never say anything about 'reasonable measures' to try not to damage something. You can work over a greenhouse without breaking a thing, IF you use enough measures not to break stuff. Do or Do Not, There is no Try. How does one decide on "reasonable"?

I tell people that I'll either not break something, or I might. Their bill...their choice.
I've been having the "We're the solution to their problem" mentality strongly echoing.

I heard from a Bartlett guy that if you inject the trees now and stay with it for 5 years, all the untreated ash trees will be dead by then and the EAB will have eaten itself out of hosts and will therefore disappear so treated trees will be safe then.

Does EAB indeed attack only ash trees?

You working under a rock, cory? We've been hammering down EAB ash here for the last two years :lol: Really, it was found first a stones throw from me, I guess your noticing it late? Our trees are falling apart here, some falling over at the base. Ive climbing some i prob shouldn't, but like with any dead tree do your homework.

They say it has a taste for some ornamentals, like the fringe tree or something. No other hardwoods i've heard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 37
I just noticed blonding within the past couple months it seems

I've treated well over 1000 ash for eab since 2012 alone, started some treatments as early as 2004 as Columbus was an epicenter due to fast urban sprawl and redevelopment.

Chionanthus is indeed a host and our American version is more susceptible.

Em Ben is most effective for trees over 15" and treatments are good for 3 (4?) years despite the label saying a 2 year cycle. Not a fan of trunk injections from a compartmentalization standpoint and our ash arent the greatest at it. I'm now pushing folks for a 3 year cycle despite that "label is the law" business.

Neonics are pretty effective for smaller trees as a drench or basal soil injection but Imid can get bound up in finer soils and OM. Safari is far more soluble but is pretty expensive and the residual is significantly shorter so timing with it is very important. Imid trunk injections can lead to cambial necrosis so flushing with water after an injection is warranted if using Imid.

Ash aren't visited by bees here but that is not to say that beneficials of other varieties aren't affected...I have no idea however.

Injections with Azadiractin sound great...but arent terribly effective and have to be injected annually. Far too much wounding.

Back