Building a grapple for a mini that combines all the best parts about current ones

Hunter90nl

Treehouser
New to this fourm so forgive me if im in the wrog spot for this question. I just bought a bobcat mt52 and was looking into grapples but the prices are outrageous imo.. so i decided im going to build my own but would like input from people that own all the diffrent styles so i can combine that input into one with all the best things.. everything will be laser or plasma cut out of 1/2" steel for the claws and mabye the main supports as well.. thanks again

Welcome to the house :)

You can easily torch 1/2", gonna be drastically cheaper than paying someone to do it. If you are just drawing up a cad file and handing it off, you would be better to just buy one. Go to surplus center for your hydraulic parts, you will probably find the best prices there.

Welcome!

Not sure what you can do to make a better grapple than a BMG.

Vermeer can do some tricks, but you can't combine the two.

After using a BMG, I can't think of it as expensive. In the time you are designing, building, testing, re-building, possibly, I'd say, just go do some work with a BMG and make money back after buying a great grapple that has all the RnD done, and done very well.

Welcome!

Not sure what you can do to make a better grapple than a BMG.

Vermeer can do some tricks, but you can't combine the two.

After using a BMG, I can't think of it as expensive. In the time you are designing, building, testing, re-building, possibly, I'd say, just go do some work with a BMG and make money back after buying a great grapple that has all the RnD done, and done very well.

I mostly agree with the above statement other than sometimes you just don't have the money to front but you have the tools to make something. Its funny how in my current position I don't think of the bmg as expensive anymore.

New to this fourm so forgive me if im in the wrog spot for this question. I just bought a bobcat mt52 and was looking into grapples but the prices are outrageous imo.. so i decided im going to build my own but would like input from people that own all the diffrent styles so i can combine that input into one with all the best things.. everything will be laser or plasma cut out of 1/2" steel for the claws and mabye the main supports as well.. thanks again

I am all for building something if you have the tools, skillz, and time. Time being the most important, as it is money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the quick responses.. i been a fab guy/mechanic most of my life so when i look at something i automatically start figuring out the cost to build it vs buy it and anything that is north of $2k that has $500-$1000 worth of materials makes sense to build lol

I have access to a few fab shops with very affordable pricing for plasma,laser,or water jet.. on shop has bare bobtach plates for $55 so im set there

Good deal. My brother in law just built a kit 3d printer, which he then used to make a cnc router. When I saw that I instantly wanted to build a flame table lol. I also build a bunch of stuff, so I'm looking forward to your grapple :)

Ill take plenty of pictures, currently just trying to get some input from people who have ones now and what they would like to see diffrent or improvements upon the current designs

There's a bunch of threads on here about grapples, even one with a hydraulic capstan winch mounted on top (I would think that would be super handy). On the minis, I think the general consensus is that a rotator isn't needed, a heel bar is, bollards on top for rigging and pulling, and scoops that fit over them. In other words, a bmg :lol: the bmg I guess doesn't have bushings, they just use bolts for the pivoting connections (I think I read that somewhere, I don't have a mini yet or a grapple). Using replaceable bushings and pins would be an improvement if that's true. A small shear plate would also be cool, so you could trim up the small stuff, but using it with a mini might not be all that useful. I've seen them on excavator type booms, and that is the shit, although I think the mini articulated loaders sometimes have them too (avants maybe?).

I would love to see an attachment or method for a mini to bust up the big wood, preferably in log length rather than cutting it up into little pieces. The atom splitter thing looks promising, but I think it needs another cylinder to rip the log apart once it's in. That's the minis biggest weakness that I see.

Kyle,

re: the atom splitter. I understand that there is an extension available for in-between the auger and the splitter, allowing deeper drilling. Not sure if that's what you were getting at. I was thinking of the Atom Splitter again today, when I was looking at a large redwood tree.

The BMG also has the slide-in tow hitch, holes for a bolting on a saw bar slot, ability to grab the BMG rake.

BMG improvements, better protection for zerks, and an ability to insert a little lifting jib.

Im not affraid to build something, you just need to know when NOT to build something. Id prob just buy a BmG. Build the attachments if so inclined.

I have an Atom, works good.

You might be referencing my bmg with the winch attatchment. 1/1. Started with dave, then carl got it, then i got it, now its back near dave with jim steele.

I was Brendon, that looked really cool. It's good to hear about the atom splitters, I was wondering if a mini has enough ass to make then worthwhile.

Back