Swivel on bridge?

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Anyone use a swivel or small rigging plate on their bridge? Looking to maybe try something different from the ring. Would be great to here any comments good or bad. Thx

If your rope begins to twist then it will take your hitch with it. If you have a swivel then you will be fighting it all the time trying to keep your hitch oriented correctly. IMO it's about as bad of an idea as putting a swivel on your steering column in your truck.

I have two bridges, and each one has a swivel...and it works really well for me.
I have no issues with keeping my HH and hitch lined up. I have been using them for almost a year with great results. If indeed the whole lot does twist, it is a matter of seconds or less to twist it back.
What I do like is when I have to swivel myself around and through things, a quick visual check of my HH and hitch and the whole lot has followed me, a quick twist and it's all oriented again, no twisted bridges or having to perform a circular dance in the air to untwist things.

I tried the 'fixed' swivel first, one that only twists in one plane, and then I noticed on the included paperwork that it should NOT be loaded where the length of it is against a hard point, like if you were leaning against a branch and the top and bottom parts of the swivel were sticking out free and the middle bit was taking the load!

I then switched to the DMM nexus and focus (could be wrong on the name of the focus)...anyhow, the main thing is they have shackles top and bottom that allows the swivels to 'bend'...
You can pretty much 'build' them the way you want them, fixed top or bottom, shackle top or bottom...or both.

Attachments

• DSC01404.jpg
    DSC01404.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 86
I got a DMM swivel two years ago. Single best thing I've done since. Have none of the above mentioned complaints. Like most everything, you'll probably have to try it for yourself.

I'm pretty fond of my dmm swivel. I got tired of spinning in circles trying to keep my lines from staying twisted. Your hitch does tend to always be in the wrong place. But I'd still rather have to pull it back around than untwist my line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like I'll probably flip a coin. Was deciding between the dmm bat plate or rock exotica orbitor. It seems like a personal thing and have to try for yourself.

I run the rock exotica large one, so I can clip into the swivel if i have two tip, or just clip into the same ring that's on my bridge, using it as a ring. I use a short double rope setup a bunch for work positioning and limb walks that has a pinto so I can clip the becket (that way only one carbiner I need to clip into), and a rope wrench for my main system. I'm in shorter wider trees more often than not tho, your needs and preferences are probably different.

20171114_134934.jpg

Seriously, check the use and safety info that comes with a regular swivel. I had a Petzl one to start with and it SPECIFICALY says and shows not to load it across a hard point in the middle. just like being on a branch hey.

For sure Gary! The DMM ones are really nice, bendy and swively...you can see the different sizes of the available shackles, and the fixed side.
A large shackle will accept two biners, the small one only one.
The fixed green ring comes with a removable spacer, had to take it out to get the HH biner to fit.

i use the RE hydra swivel pulley on my bridge. it was supplied for me at work. im not really a fan of having a swivel on my bridge but i love having the three attachments. the pulley make it much less abrasive on the bridge than a paw or similar. im kind of getting used to the swivel part and liking it more and more.

I put a swivel on my bridge about 5 or 6 years ago. It twisted everything up, no end. I was running a VT in those days.

Brian advised me back then the same as he wrote on this thread. I have to agree with him. IME they are more effort than they are worth. Maybe it would be different single line but I don't have a problem at the minute so I'll stick with what I have.

Me too Bermy.

I've had a DMM swivel on my bridge for a couple seasons now, and I love it. Doesn't give me much that a ring wouldn't, but it helps with orientation. I personally have never had any issues with the swivel causing twist, if anything its nice to be able to spin things around sometimes. Interesting that they seem to cause twist for some folks?

ETA: I've also had one of those little green swivels that Bermy uses on her bridge on my positioning lanyard, and its tits.

One thing to look for on the gear inspection side, if you switch from a ring to a swivel, the bridge rope will abrade the anodizing off the aluminum in short order. We've seen pictures of swivels that were worn nearly half way through from the constant motion on the bridge. Just something to keep in mind and take a look at every now and again.

23758355_1540847439284525_550968872_n.jpg

23772148_1540847505951185_1359571368_n.jpg

Cheers,

Sam, I don't think anyone has claimed the swivel will cause twist. I'm just saying that if your friction hitch causes your line to twist then that will become much more of an issue if you have a swivel. Without the swivel then the attachment to your saddle will prevent your rope from twisting away from you and at least keep your hitch oriented correctly.

With a well balanced hitch or one of these new mechanical hitches that doesn't cause the rope to twist then you won't have any issue at all.

My VT hitch never caused twist...mainly I switched to a swivel because as I spin and twist around and through the tree on my travels to work it, I would get a twist in my bridge and have to execute a spin or have to loop the end of my climb line over myself...
Yes, a ring would take up a bit of the twist but not all.
I liked the idea of a swivel, I tried it, I liked it, I'm keeping it.

Back