Tinnitus, Hearing Loss, Hearing Difficulties, Etc...Discuss.

Bermy...that is exactly what I have. For years it was a constant high pitch...a few years ago it transitioned to crickets chirping. Now I hear a high pitch and crickets always...and don't hear high frequency well at all.

If it is tinnitus, sometimes it?s an easy fix.

Mick, What is the sometimes easy fix?

(I touched off a round from a friends high power rifle with sideways muzzle porting. Unfortunately I was too close to a shooting range sidewall - instantly realized it was a dumb move.)

I quit drinking yet I'm still ringing...

Yer bell dun bin rung!

I had an infection in both my ears. Doc said it came from those foam ear plugs. Ear muffs for me now. PPE is expensive and the stuff is built cheaply.

If it is tinnitus, sometimes it?s an easy fix.

Mick, What is the sometimes easy fix?

(I touched off a round from a friends high power rifle with sideways muzzle porting. Unfortunately I was too close to a shooting range sidewall - instantly realized it was a dumb move.)

I had humming, partial deafness, odd noises, they flushed my ears out and instantly I was hearing like a long eared bat.

Q-tips as far as I recall. I elaborated a movement to have a good cleaning with that and to avoid any build up.
But still, I have the high pitch continuously in both ears.
Now, even with the computer'fans just near me and the electric heater rattling under my desk (I love the warm air flow coming up), I hear it distinctly.

It's related to nerve damage. Sensitive terminators are damaged and that doesn't heal. Training the brain by feedback is an elegant solution : "just" tell the brain to not be bothered by that. You had to be really convincing !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wasn't until I started reading this that I noticed my ears were ringing. I usually don't notice it but I have had it for several years. The hearing guy said it was because I drove around with the windows in my pickup down and I'm sure running heavy equipment, chainsaws and shooting didn't help either.

Sorry to make your ears ring, Buddy.

I've done a lot of windows-down driving. Nobody mentions the health affects of not using the A/C...noise and UV.

I had humming, partial deafness, odd noises, they flushed my ears out and instantly I was hearing like a long eared bat.

Mick, which "they"?
What kind of flushing? Saline rinse?

Frans, was it a pushing-stuff in problem, or a bacterial problem from foam plugs?

My favorite are Silencio silicone plugs $3/ pair, followed up by rubbery plastic yellow on blue cord. Washable/ sanitizable. Don't really wear out. Yellows don't like the dryer much.

I usually wear muffs and plugs. Plugs are really nice with Sena's on high volume, IME. This stuff is too loud for just muffs, IMO.

I have hearing loss in my left ear Sean. I'm sure from window down driving. :(. Deaf enough in my left to be able to easily notice the difference. Like if I sleep right ear down on the pillow, the alarm will sound real faint and distant and muffled. That's when I think. Wow, that's getting bad.

Won't be to long I imagine before I get hearing aids. Such is life.

Not tried the candling.

Qtips did me in one day. My own fault, but if the qtip wasn't there I wouldn't have burst my ear drum on the left. It then got infected quite badly.

When it initially happened, I felt like Tyson had just connected with a right hook. Then for a few weeks I had trouble eating and talking due to the infection.

You should never put qtips into the inner ear. The doctor actually said you shouldn't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

I said, I would like to see you try!

Mick, which "they"?
What kind of flushing? Saline rinse?

Nurse at the medical center.
Frans, was it a pushing-stuff in problem, or a bacterial problem from foam plugs?

My favorite are Silencio silicone plugs $3/ pair, followed up by rubbery plastic yellow on blue cord. Washable/ sanitizable. Don't really wear out. Yellows don't like the dryer much.

I usually wear muffs and plugs. Plugs are really nice with Sena's on high volume, IME. This stuff is too loud for just muffs, IMO.

Last edited:
That's like, "Don't rub your eye with anything but your elbow".

I've done the ear candles a time or two. Interesting, but not that productive. I don't have waxy ears.

Wearing muffs definitely keeps outer ears cleaner, so inner ears cleaner if using plugs.

I prefer to keep my plugs in for long periods of time, not in-out. Senas help to not have to remove/ insert, and you wear the muffs for long periods.

Last logging season we had moulded ear plugs made for all of us.

I'm slowly going deaf from working with saws for 40 years, we wanted to avoid having the rest of the crew going the same way.

Fairly expensive at $200 a pair, but worth every penny.

They make a molding of your outer ear canal and reverse that into a pair of plugs that fit so well, that after 30 seconds, one has forgotten, they are there.
None of the discomfort that comes with prolonged use of normal plugs.

With the ear cups from the helmet on top, the world is silent.:)
They have a build in filter that allows (loud) talk to go through, but filters the noise out.
That works great for the boys, but not for me. My partial deafness gets in the way, I can't hear any talk when I wear them.

I had an extra pair made for myself, to use when I ride my motorcycle fast on the freeway.

I never heard driving with the window down can beat up your hearing, sounds far fetched to me.

I thought it was common sense? I've always been like a dog nearly myself. Windows down always. My left ear has far greater hearing damage than my right and it's the one that's always hanging in the wind.

Do you shoot a bunch of guns? My old foreman was deaf in his left ear from shooting. Needless to say he shot pretty much all the time lol. I'm sure being a fitter didn't help either. He said back in the day they would just beat asbestos insulation off with a hammer, no tie offs, no glasses, and would ride the crane ball crab style, 2 guys a trip lol.

Back