Crane Tree Removal???

Nothing beats experience. I learned from other people. Also the crane guy I use does only trees(unlike most crane guys who rarely do trees) so back in the day he was a great teacher. Start small and keep things balanced.

Some folks give hands on courses. Mark Chisholm does, look him up and see if he's going to be near you anytime soon.

Long story short though, if you have an excellent operator with loads of tree experience, he could talk you through all of it easily, and through reps you would get better and better.

Crane work with a good op is easy-ass work ;) You've got a $350k machine helping you remove a tree, it better be easy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I worked with a guy today that set some trusses for us with his crane. I told him if I got a smaller relatively easy removal I would give him a call just so I got some experience before I need him for something more technical. I figured that would be a good place to start but I still have some learnen to do before I even get started on that first easy job.

Thanks Cory, I will look up Mark Chisholm.

If you want you can come work with us for a few days, we have Sena com systems (formerly Ropetek Coms, thanks Sherrill) so can talk you through everything. Can give you a couch and good food. Charlottesville airport is literally 5 mins from my house. No replacement for real life experience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man that's a heck of a good offer and I'm a fool for passing it up but I better not. I want you to know how much I appreciate it though. :thumbup:

I don't know your circumstances mate, but that offer is a fine one.

I can't imagine Mark Chisholm coming to your house, so to get the experience you would need to travel a bit and pay for the privelidge of it.

Paul is offering experience, plus bed and board. All you need is flights.

As I previously mentioned, I don't know your circumstances but if I were in your shoes and there was a slight chance to make it work, I'd find a way.

I took a few working vacations many years ago. Got to meet and work with a bunch of people on this forum. Learned a lot, had a bunch of fun.

I love to get in on an opportunity like that one of these days. When I get to where I can move around in a tree like an animal other than a dying slough I imitate now lol

Very cool to offer... if he can;t make it , getting a sena radio com system would be very helpful, but the most important thing is to work with a crane op that specializes in trees, as was said above..... He'll tell you where to set the slings and where to cut... all you need to learn is how to make the cuts... the thing you're looking for is slow and steady movement.. no shock loading because the boom of a crane doesn't have the give that a tree has.... That's why crane videos always look kinda boring.. everything is so slow and steady.... see it once , you've seen it all

Here's the only crane vid I have produced... Notice the movement of the limbs ......real slow

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-vhn4_BgikM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back