Anyone getting rid of a portable winch?

ruel

TreeHouser
Just used a pw 3000 for the first time yesterday, and was blown away. Anyone on here have one they don't use? Found I'd ask before getting one new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes I did, it is awesome! Turns out i used the PW5000, which was dragging 20" 12' spruce logs no big deal

I watched it again, and just put my hands on my capstan run off a chainsaw powerhead.

I need to figure out a remote trigger-squeeze mechanism for the chainsaw powerhead.

Any ideas, anyone?

With a capstan winch do you really need one? Unless you are using it to pull trees, you can just let go of the rope and it would stop. If you want to get fancy you could rig up a solenoid, or even just a pull cord that tightens a noose with some shock cord to pull back slack

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get a raspberry pi computer and learn how to program a wireless triggered mechanical finger?

I like the idea of having a mount up on the top of the chipper.

Since there is no throttle lock, there needs to be a way to hold the trigger and tension on the rope. If the capstan is mounted on top of the chipper, that means one person climbing onto the chipper to operate it.

A mechanism can replace a person and be easier to use.

There might be times where releasing the tension on the rope is not desirable as a means to stop the advance of the rope. For example if you want to 'fly' material, rather than skid it up a hill. You might be hoisting high up one trunk on a hillside, then transferring to another high set drift-line on another trunk above a landing.

Perhaps its just a hot-glue-gun project to put 'keepers' for a choking cord around the trigger, and a cleat for tying off the cord.

Be sure that the throttle's spring has enough strength to pull it back. The small cord can get a lot of drag on the ground or by some shrubs if there's some length.

Back