New Engine for Stump Grinder...Need Recommendations.

SeanKroll

Treehouser
My SuperJr 1620 ran a 25 hp replacement engine for a while, which is now done. I need to replace it.

What do I need to know to replace the engine? Seems like the bolt pattern on the bottom is easy to figure, by measuring the 4 mounting slots and the current bolt spacing. What about the bolt-up for the drive belts and hydraulic pump?

I was wondering about the angle of operation. Google told me that Briggs and Stratton are good at 15 degrees, and 30 degrees intermittently. I have never measured the angle of operation while grinding. Seems to be a standard concern if your engine is mounted on the grinder boom. IIRC Fiddler lost the engine on his 38 Special due to excess angle and oil supply issues.

I've seen engines without mufflers. Where do I source the muffler?

Recommendations on engines and sources? I've looked at Surplus Center and Northern Tool, somewhat.

Can't give you any help with engine sources. I've been looking for some myself and google comes up with Northern tool. Mufflers should be everywhere, and auto/industrial supply should stock smaller engine mufflers, my favorite is to use brass standard threaded pipe for exhaust tubing, but regular black would work.

If money's no object, just get a new motor identical to the last one. If money's right like for me, I would hunt down a riding mower or something used on craigslist or something, and then use that. For a muffler, I just use black pipe and stainless steel wool, and a flapper or gooseneck if need be. What's wrong with the existing motor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its an old Onan 25 HP that was low-hours on another machine.

Its puffing smoke, the starter is screwed up, its old...it has ignition points. New and ready to go, without screwing around much, sounds good to me. I'm trying to move away from used parts.

I don't understand all the shaft size/ shape, bolt patterns, etc. Seems like there are variables that I don't want to screw up, or spend a lot of time searching on CL. I have plenty of work to do, so I won't save money spending time looking for a 'deal' for a long time.

Ready to get a new engine, and sell my extra grinder Vermeer 206. Just did 2 more stumps with it. For dull, old-style teeth, 22 hp, it does a decent job, but not as easy as the SuperJr.

I think that I could get a Predator 22hp Honda knock-off, like the Vermeer 206 has, for $800. If I planned to turn both machines into a newer machine, I might go that route. If I'm going to keep it, much more likely, I'd rather have a better engine.

I have a subcontractor with a 60 HP, so I don't need a whole lotta grinder, in-house, and don't grind a lot of my removal stumps. With that in mind, I consider a mini-mounted grinder, either a hydraulic grinder or 38 Special.

Gotcha. Shaft size, bolt pattern, shaft height, and shaft attachment (keyed/spline) is about it. Shaft doesn't matter really because it would be easy to just get another pulley, and an adapter/new holes for the motor is easy too.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

As I recall, the hydraulic system has mounting slots for adjustablility, and I need to find the the right drive belts based on my engine/ machine combo.

This was a headache on last engine switch, but I've learned a lot more about wrenching and problem-solving since then. My friend sold me Onan engine, and installed it. I have a resource, but he's busy, plus "tired and retired".

Having the time to sit and think about things makes everything easier. I had a newborn previously.

Anybody know of any good deals?

I've looked at Ebay. Might be a place for one.

Still need to do the measuring legwork. When I move it to the new house this month, I'll have some extra space to work it all out.

Kinda between stump sessions. Hope to sell my Vermeer 206 and spin that money into the new engine.

Our Vermeer SC252 runs a Kohler Command Pro 25HP. Been working like a champ for years, despite our abuse and Stumpzilla applications periodically.

Those Kohler commands are super robust. Never had a single issue in 12 years with mine.

Wouldn’t want to go back to it but..

For an old grinder, I don't need top of the line, BTW.

Considering putting a Predator Harbor Freight knock-off on it for $700 ($775 with tax, local pickup) at 22 HP, using it some, and upgrading machines over time.

I don't grind much at all, and have a cheap sub.

I'd pay more for brand name, just need a chevy, not a caddy.

It’s possibly more about angle, if it’s operating a lot at an angle (as it would be on a boom) the oil isn’t getting distributed properly.

It may be a requirement of stumper engines, maybe not.

I have the same grinder. Replaced it with a Kohler Command Pro about 3 years ago. My local saw shop ordered it for me. Had it in 2 days. It was a direct bolt on. Had to use my old muffler. The pulley on the belt side was a direct bolt on also. Now I have my old engine for spare parts.

Probably the lowest priced new engines are at http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/.Good ole boy,Roy Pagent who hailed from Wartburg Tenn had it but I think his son does now .We're talking like 5 acres of engines .Every make and model you can imagine plus the parts .Dunkirk Ind,in the middle of nowhere close to Portland and Muncie .

I wrestled with replacement power for my 252 for awhile. I wanted a Briggs Vanguard, but after a long conversation with Vermeer they talked me into another Kohler. Changing it out was easy.

22686421_1513839658651970_290789152_n.jpg

22686776_1514458771923392_1896107243_n.jpg

I'd expect that'll do very well :).

Shiny new crate engines are pretty thrilling, for us dweebs who get that sort of thrill anyway :|:.

Back