210 ft Redwood Removal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use an end sealer which makes the wood almost black. I have been running round file for a while, but I do miss the square chisel because you can really carve your under cuts with it. I usually pre plan how I am gonna break down a log to work around the splits.

Cool effect! Serpia? Something like that?
I believe sepia is what my buddy called it. I got to tell ya Butch its been good spending a little time around here lately. You got a good gang of guys here Hefe. Some of those other arborist sites got no time for a no PPE wearing old fool like me. All the insults have left me a little tender and butt hurt and I think I might need a hug. friggin' haters!

Erico...we gave Butch hell for drilling vent holes in his bump cap back when he first posted those pics, him thinking there was nothing wrong with that. We'll probably keep giving you hell for your lack of proper safety gear, too. He survived...you probably will too.

Erico...we gave Butch hell for drilling vent holes in his bump cap back when he first posted those pics, him thinking there was nothing wrong with that. We'll probably keep giving you hell for your lack of proper safety gear, too. He survived...you probably will too.
Thanks Burnham. It’s good to see ya buddy. Hope all is well with you. Yea I’m pretty sure neither Butch or myself are the brightest bulbs in the pack, but we manage. Is it ok if I steal the Erico thing?

Cool. I agree, that tree isn't big enough for 1400 years, still a honker though.

From my armchair here, I'm going to guess 450-500 y o.

Hey Cory I wanted to get back to you on the age of the tree. I was over there limbing a few Reds and got a good look at the butt. It looks to be right around 600 yrs old. I also pulled scale on this thing and I’m gonna get about 5500 board feet of the good stuff.

million-dollars-2.jpg

What does that translate to in $$$?
That would depend on whether were talking logs or lumber, and the going rate of either at the time.
This tree was in my little of the grid community and we have an understanding in here that no wood leaves here for $. I do my best to live up to that agreement, so Im gonna keep these logs and mill them for myself as Im gonna build my lovely wife a new house next summer.

Hey Cory I wanted to get back to you on the age of the tree. I was over there limbing a few Reds and got a good look at the butt. It looks to be right around 600 yrs old. I also pulled scale on this thing and I’m gonna get about 5500 board feet of the good stuff.

Cool, thanks.

...This tree was in my little of the grid community and we have an understanding in here that no wood leaves here for $. I do my best to live up to that agreement, so I?m gonna keep these logs and mill them for myself as I?m gonna build my lovely wife a new house next summer.

Looks like yer gonna have the Clampets (actually: my last name happens to be Walters) moving in with yas whether ya like it er NOT! BUT!! We got a ton of goats, and goat-milk is not have as bad as some might lead ya to believe. ;)

Jed I knew there was a reason I liked you. We’re both goat people. We’ve had goats for years and some of my best friends are goats. We have some alpines, kikos, and Nubians right now. Good raw goat milk is as good as it gets brother. Me and the wife make our own yogurt, kefir, and cheeses with our milk too.

I'll second that.
Nothing beats a good goat's cheese.
Or, in fact, any diary product made by goat's milk.

Eric, you've got me really interested in your location.

I know a lot of the small places up in Humboldt, but so far you've not posted anything that helps me pin point your location.
Your last Redwood looked like it was in a dry setting, so I'm guessing southern Humboldt/ Mendocino.
A small community like that.........................are you on the lost coast.

I may live in Denmark, but I think my soul recides in Humboldt County.
It made a large imprression on me in my youth, and I keep going back there .

Back