5 Foot Wide Utility Trailer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried out a 6' wide (inside bed dimension) and 16' long trailer today... driving on back roads.
It wasn't as wide behind the truck as I thought it would be. (my son said I did fine/ok with it).

I had almost talked myself into going against *everyone's* advice.... and getting the 5' wide trailer since it would be a smaller footprint and I would feel more comfortable with it...... but now I'm really considering the 6'x16' trailer.

The only problem is that the ones I'm looking at are 77" wide (6' 5") .... I really don't know if I want another 5" width, as there wasn't a lot of room between the outsides of the trailer tires and the lines on the roads with the 6' 0" wide trailer.

only 2.5" per side. Keep your truck centered in the lane, the trailer will follow.

Those magnetic, telescopic alignment balls are good stuff for $8. Aligning the trailer coupler and ball, and moreso to extend your view of the trailer while backing up on a curve.

A target cone, and possible intermediate target cones for aiming the corner of the trailer towards, while backing up helps me get in tight places. Backing up bending toward the driver's side has always been easier for me, especially with the cloud from the hot exhaust in cold, damp air blocking my view in the passenger side mirror.

If you're going to detach the trailer, and then re-attach from the same angle, chock the trailer tires, put chocks of some sort behind the truck's rear wheels. Some scrap 2x4/ piece of bright rope/ traffic cones/ other markers can be laid against/along the sides of the rear tires. Disconnect the truck and drive out. When it is time to drive back in, you have dead-on guides right to the ball. Basically free, and can be done with lots of things that will be on hand.

Don't be a wimp, Robert...or own your wimpness and give this foolish dream up.

If you cannot handle the tiny challenge a trailer of that order presents, then you need to consider giving this whole proposal up.

I'm sorry, I have no wish to rain on your parade, and I think in general my reputation is to give support and encouragement to our new to the biz members...but the facts are the facts. Over and over you have thrown doubt on your own abilities to do this work. I can't see that you have the cojones for it, frankly.

I hope that I am mistaken, and I hope you succeed.

When I first started working as a steamfitter, I didn't know much. I was sent to work in a chemical plant, in the middle of winter, and it was surreal. Steam blowing out of the traps, making a fog as you walked along the catwalks, like a movie. Very loud environment, danger signs everywhere, and chemical tanks with stuff I knew from chemistry class as shit you don't mess with. The journeyman I was working with handed me a fall arrest harness, which I thought was odd, and then starting walking up stairs and down the catwalks. He then calmly climbed over the handrail and walked on an I beam over to a valve running up along side a tank. He didn't hear me follow, so he looked back and told me to come on. Now I don't like admitting this, especially on a forum of climbers, but I used to have an irrational fear of heights. And walking on an ice covered I beam was a hard no lol. I fortunately had a very calm and understanding journeyman (not the norm), who showed me how to tie off and move out there. I worked through it, and in time, came to love (kinda) high work. It was something that came with the trade that I didn't think about when I got in. It scared me, but it's part of the work.

I don't know if you have had a bad car accident or something in your past that makes you gun shy about pulling a trailer, and I understand you feel this is out of your comfort zone. But it is part of the trade. You need to accept that, and get over it. Going against what more experienced people are telling you is seldom in your best interest. They are trying to help you, but I'm afraid not listening will make it harder for them to do so.

It doesn't take long to get used to a trailer. Got to get used to using mirrors if you haven't yet.

And speaking of chocking make sure you use a good chock, more so with a tandem axle. They can walk right over a wimpy chock.

Don't be a wimp, Robert...or own your wimpness and give this foolish dream up.

If you cannot handle the tiny challenge a trailer of that order presents, then you need to consider giving this whole proposal up.

I'm sorry, I have no wish to rain on your parade, and I think in general my reputation is to give support and encouragement to our new to the biz members...but the facts are the facts. Over and over you have thrown doubt on your own abilities to do this work. I can't see that you have the cojones for it, frankly.

I hope that I am mistaken, and I hope you succeed.

ha, thanks again for your direct talk, Mr. Burnham!
I guess time will tell.

haha, somewhat in my defense, I used to install storm windows in my early 30's, and often worked from a ladder on 2nd story windows.
Occasionally I have been near the end of my 28' ladder (with stand-offs), carrying a window I could barely get my hands on both sides of, and -- very carefully -- putting it into position and putting a couple of self-tapping screws into the sides and/or top to hold it in place (sometimes into metal primary window frames which is tougher) so I could relax and reposition the ladder (if necessary) and finish screwing the window in. --- haha, but I wouldn't want to do that now. But I do have a fear of heights .... and while I was installing storm windows (and replacement windows and siding, etc.)

HOWEVER... During that time, I often thought that the worst job in the world to have (e.g. if I HAD to do ANYTHING to provide for my family)... would be one of the guys (or gals?) that put up the new billboard signs .... or worse than that... those hardy souls that worked on building a big bridge. ----- at the time I never knew anything about tree climbers and arborists :)

And thank you, sir, for your well wishes and all your comments and advice!

When I first started working as a steamfitter, I didn't know much. I was sent to work in a chemical plant, in the middle of winter, and it was surreal. Steam blowing out of the traps, making a fog as you walked along the catwalks, like a movie. Very loud environment, danger signs everywhere, and chemical tanks with stuff I knew from chemistry class as shit you don't mess with. The journeyman I was working with handed me a fall arrest harness, which I thought was odd, and then starting walking up stairs and down the catwalks. He then calmly climbed over the handrail and walked on an I beam over to a valve running up along side a tank. He didn't hear me follow, so he looked back and told me to come on. Now I don't like admitting this, especially on a forum of climbers, but I used to have an irrational fear of heights. And walking on an ice covered I beam was a hard no lol. I fortunately had a very calm and understanding journeyman (not the norm), who showed me how to tie off and move out there. I worked through it, and in time, came to love (kinda) high work. It was something that came with the trade that I didn't think about when I got in. It scared me, but it's part of the work.

I don't know if you have had a bad car accident or something in your past that makes you gun shy about pulling a trailer, and I understand you feel this is out of your comfort zone. But it is part of the trade. You need to accept that, and get over it. Going against what more experienced people are telling you is seldom in your best interest. They are trying to help you, but I'm afraid not listening will make it harder for them to do so.

Kyle, it was good of you to post this personal experience of yours.

I don't like working around big machinery, but I have a much respect for guys like you that do, and in who work in dangerous environments like what you describe.

It doesn't take long to get used to a trailer. Got to get used to using mirrors if you haven't yet.

And speaking of chocking make sure you use a good chock, more so with a tandem axle. They can walk right over a wimpy chock.

Thanks Cobleskill!

Back