Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Underbid Me? .... and by How Much? .... Do I have the Job?

Default Who Underbid Me? .... and by How Much? .... Do I have the Job?

If you get underbid for a job does anyone check back with the homeowner, etc. on WHO got the job and for HOW MUCH was their bid?

AND/OR .... Does anyone check back with a potential customer (e.g. a few days) after giving a bid to see if they have gone with anybody yet and if not take the opportunity to (re)negotiate for the job? (assuming you want to do the job for less)?

Are these practices considered professional, etc.?

Thanks!
    - Robert
    Trying to make a profit in tree work and firewood while trying to figure out (if) a better way to earn money before I get too old.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

What he said!!!

Thanks Levi and Butch!

This is my first bid on a tree removal job for pay and I really want it for the experience......But I don't want to make lots of trips with my pickup truck bed hauling out all the wood. (might go and look at trailers today).

THEREFORE....I'm thinking of greatly reducing the bid of the "removal" (felling) part and maybe he can find somebody to haul off the wood cheaper than I want to do it for. (e.g. per Sean)

My insurance forbids me from "sub-contracting" others ... but he said I can give the customer a list of names/numbers.
    - Robert
    Trying to make a profit in tree work and firewood while trying to figure out (if) a better way to earn money before I get too old.

Hauling log chunks/ wood, inefficiently, is a money loser.

I was low bid for years as I learned the trade and got good at it.

People don't always go for the low bid.

The more bids you do, the better you'll get.

I still have people shopping price, but the other day, a new customer was sufficiently impressed about being able to save his birch with a plan, and discussion about a handful of other pruning, he started talking about "when you're here, you need to do this as well". Ended up getting dark, told him I'll come another day to write a proposal, and have him on the schedule before storms, after leaves fall.

Pruning is less likely to go for the low bid.

Hopefully, his neighbors will get wind before my follow up and will need something. Also, hopefully they have a Jacuzzi, tennis court, and view, too.

Well-healed will be more likely to go with value, over price. Most all that work will be hand saw and hand primers, with little chainsaw work or material processed/ hauled.

Snip, snip, instead of Grunt, Grunt.

Thanks Sean and Altissiumus.

Good perspective, Sean.

....But I really want that removal job just to get some momentum going.
    - Robert

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Clean-up can be a killer. Bids where you drop the tree, make a mess, get paid and leave are wonderful. "Home-owner cleanup".

Sometimes when they realize how much work REALLY goes into cleanup they call you back. We usually end up charging the same or more as the "drop the tree" price.

A tree that costs $400 to drop can take $800 to cleanup, e.g.

In the tree work takes the most skill and cunning...the groundwork/cleanup is often just hard grunt work. (the groundie running ropes to help the climber look good at the climbing/rigging stuff is an entirely different matter. I love having my son, Alex, on the ground running ropes or helping decide how to make (or NOT make) the next cut. A trained and careful eye on the ground is priceless).

Don't sell yourself as primarily a cleanup guy...be the problem solver that gets the tree issue solved...that is the primary concern.
    Gary

People don't always go for the low bid.

The more bids you do, the better you'll get.

I still have people shopping price, but the other day, a new customer was sufficiently impressed about being able to save his birch with a plan, and discussion about a handful of other pruning, he started talking about "when you're here, you need to do this as well". Ended up getting dark, told him I'll come another day to write a proposal, and have him on the schedule before storms, after leaves fall.

Pruning is less likely to go for the low bid.

Hopefully, his neighbors will get wind before my follow up and will need something. Also, hopefully they have a Jacuzzi, tennis court, and view, too.

Well-heeled people will be more likely to go with value, over price. Most all that pruning work will be hand saw and hand pruners, with little chainsaw work or material processed/ hauled.

Snip, snip, instead of Grunt, Grunt.

A demolition job is a lot different than a custom remodeling job.

To tag on to Gary, the risk is in the fell/ dismantle.

You know you posted that 2hrs ago Sean?

(Although you spelt heeled correctly second time)
    Mick, you could feck up a fine day.

Mick