Thoughts on this Bandit chipper for sale???

Gas motor probably thirsty ... But does look good for the Shekels ( I do wonder about the hours vs. the replacement work , seems low for a Carb and Hoses. Just a suspicious minded guy who's engine clock hasn't run in years)

Looks almost identical to the one I just bought. Paid $5K for mine. That one is slightly newer as it has a fold down feed table. Looks like the cap for the bottom of the air filter holder is missing and the chute is slightly tweaked. Check for rust inside the disc area. Mine is very thirsty and slightly under powered but chips beautifully. Previous owner put a flow regulator on the feed rollers so I can slow down the feed rate and it will eat anything I can stuff into it. I burned a full tank of fuel (7 gallons) in 6 hours today, one load of chips.

When I was shopping for mine 6-12 months ago... I saw better 90's for that price.
My 2%

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Day there, day back.

What do you think about grapple feeding your machine, Brian? Can you estimate the feed chute's mouth and throat sizes?

Way too small to deal with grapple loading. It's only a 9 inch chipper. Chipping brushy limbs you need to back it up when the feed rollers jam from too much bulk. Feed roller opening is 16" wide though, so it feeds a lot better than the Vermeers of similar size.

Thanks. My chuck and duck is 9x16. The feet tray would be wider on mine for better feeding. When the material is longer, I can feed by machine. Short limbs, hand fed. Never machine fed a feed-wheel chipper.

So no autofeed on yours?

I am not buying the 400 hours on a 91'. That either means it sat forever in-between runnings rotting and freezing up or it has many more thousand hours, with a good paint job, and a new hour meter.

Thanks. I got scared off Morbark by some problematic shaft breakage problem that some Morbark have, with a big repair bill.

They are just getting a local Morbark dealer, locally. My only other dealer supported option is Vermeer. Unless I can get a state-auctioned chipper, at a good price, thumbs down. They have had some 1250s. Friend picked one up for $7k. Likely not used and abused, like a tree company's.

Practically Everything in on the east coast.

I don't know about shipping. I got an impression that a dealer was looking at about a dollar per mile, which adds quite a bit for delivery.

Sean those older Morbarks don't have the shaft issues like some of the newer models. Models 17 and 13 are worth the look.

That Wisconsin engine appears to be the higher horse power model, 60 horse instead of 37? That would probably tend to make it a good performer for a hand feed pruning operation. And, it would suck even more gas.

Sounds like you are beyond that Sean - bigger capacity, machine feed.

150 is not enough of a jump for good machine feeding. It's not just how wide the infeed rollers go, the dia of rollers and hyd power to rollers mater too.

If you're pretty sure what you want, try to go help a tree service for a few hours or a day that feeds the type of chipper you want with the same methods you plan to use.

I have seen 150's overwhelmed by somewhat dull knives and two guys hand feeding.

The Bandit 250 or 280's look pretty workable for a modest operation and still doing a bunch of pruning. Maybe keeping your chipper as back up and for some prune days.

For machine feeding a chipper, the minimum size chipper to do so semi-effectively would be a bandit 200. A bandit 250 would be a much better first machine choice for machine feeding, because it a large opening prior to the feed wheels for ease in machine feeding.

Weight is a factor. I'd love a 250 with a winch, if it weren't. I get my chipper in a lot of places, weight factors in for the mini, as well as the truck. I don't think my chip truck would like an extra 2k#.

I'm looking at a compromise machine. I do half removal work, half other work.

I might just need to stuff smaller piles of small limbs by machine into what I have now. A good thing about a Chuck and duck, it doesn't choke itself. It is too much, it seems to stop pulling. Long limbs, like this week's oak were mostly machine fed. Maples feed well.

Your chuck n duck is set up a lot more forgiving than mine ever was. Mine certainly didn't 'stop pulling' if you jammed in to much.

Back