Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The trailer hitch on the chip truck was marginal at best. Took it to the shop yesterday to see if they could reinforce it. Instead they just cut it off and rebuilt it from scratch. They did not want to use the extension so they built the hitch out solid to the same length. I could tow the space shuttle with this hitch!

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 78
14k holy shit.

Looks good. I like a pintle bolted to a plate but looks like your body extends past the end of the frame. My trucks are short so I never need to do a slide in hitch as the frame stops where the body stops.

Yeah the dump bed hangs a good 2 feet past the frame so I needed the hitch back far enough that the chipper didn't hit the truck on sharp turns. I've seen some trucks with the hitch hanging off the dump bed but that comes with other potential problems. This will work great as long as the insert gets removed before dumping. I'm going to get a tag or something made to stick on the PTO lever saying 'remove hitch insert' or similar.

The insert will give me more options with this truck as it may handle multiple functions, as opposed to a single purpose truck like the bucket trucks.

And yeah, 14K lbs is freaking insane for a chipper. That's a full load all by itself! I'm hoping you don't pull it with a full load on the chip truck very often (unless your chip truck is a Peterbuilt).

Well I'm not sure what my next step should be in regards to this chipper. I paid for it 2 weeks ago, got a receipt and the seller promised me his wife would get the title, manual, parts list etc. out of the files and get it to me shortly. Since I took possession of the chipper I've left 4 phone messages and emailed 3 times with absolutely no response. I just got done leaving messages on both numbers and another email a few minutes ago. Maybe I need to post his phone number and see how many here might want to ask him where my title is?

edit: His wife just emailed me back and said he bought that chipper in 2013 before they were married. She now doesn't know if he has a title or not.

Don't think I have ever got a title with a chipper. Do you need tags on them down there? Never had tags on any of mine and have been pulled for other stuff and they never mentioned the tags

Here you need tags on pretty much any trailer and a title on any trailer over 2000 lbs.

I just got hold of him, he said he thinks it's an electronic title so he has to go to the DMV and find out. Along with some excuses. I'll give him a few more days. Actually if it's electronic he should be able to look it up online (I think).
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/E-Title-FAQ.htm

Atleast you know where he lives right?

Pita. Hope it all gets straightened out. Funny how people lose motivation to do what they said they would once they've already spent the money.

I emailed his wife back last night with the link for the Florida DMV that I posted here a few posts back. Then she emailed me back asking for the serial number. I sent it to her so hopefully she is heading in the right direction toward getting my title printed and signed. The guy owns a half million dollar house and has at least 6 employees. I think he just tends to let a lot of stuff slide as long as the dollars keep rolling in, so the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

In Ontario I think there are ways for ownerships (titles) with only bill of sale as well. I had a call a year or so ago for a guy up north looking for an ownership to a motorcycle I sold back in 1997. Guess he fixed it all up and needed the paperwork to get it on the road....it was still in my name...

..... I demanded my bike back or I would call the cops!! :P

I had a guy knock on my door one night and he wanted his car back, I'd owned it legally for about five years. He had it sold on consignment and they never paid him.

Felt a bit sorry for him but nothing he could do. I rang an insurance broker out of the phone book years later and when I told him my name he said "are you still driving my car, I see it now and then"

Thought I'd better just try another broker.

The laws are different in every state regarding towed equipment .In Ohio only things that can run down the road under power need titles ,trucks . A chipper does not .Neither does a trailer,just a weigh slip for the tags .

I sold a 1968 El Camino to a guy who drove on my title for two years with phony tags before he decided to retitle it .In the mean time Ohio came out with a thing you had to list the odometer reading .Here he came hat in hand .I reprimanded him severely .
Evidently either through ignorance or just plain stupidity he didn't know you have 30 days in Ohio to retitle a motor vehicle . I had not dated the title,lucky for him .

Would it be possible to apply for a lost title?
Here in Wisco a chipper is not considered a trailer but a piece of "green recycling equipment for the manufacture of wood chips" and the tag is $26 annually. If you just go in the DMV they will tag it as a trailer based on weight but I had this really nice hippy anti-gubberment type guy that found that out for me. You get a normal plate and sticker but there is another sticker that goes on the plate saying restricted use. Meaning you can't put another piece of equipment on the chipper like a mini or what not.

I got to work with one of these chippers this last weekend. Pound for pound pretty extraordinary. just ripped like a Percheron Good find Brian.

A family used to live around the corner we were close to. He had a team of Percherons he took my Mom for a buggy ride. She was thrilled. When his wife died he carried the casket on a wagon to the cemetary. He died not long after and his son did the same for his Dad.

I had a quarter horse/Percheron cross for a couple of months. Charlie. He was cool as f-ck. But unfortunately he was lame and the seller took him back. They couldn't grab him for a couple of months so he stayed with us. To the sellers credit they even paid us board for the time he was with us until they picked him up. You don't get sellers that honest in the horse world often.

Back