Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

SkwerI

Treehouser
Figured I'd make a thread instead of scattering the pics through various other threads. After years of working as a subcontractor and refusing to hire employees I finally had a change of heart. I've built up a fairly decent customer base and it's getting harder and harder to meet their needs via sharing the jobs with other crews or trying to load everything in my dump trailer. I also had a guy just about fall in my lap and he's turning out to be an awesome employee. I really enjoy working with him and he really enjoys working with me. We are both the same type of assholes so we just get along great.

About a month ago a thread on this forum led me to searching my local Craigslist where I found an old Brush Bandit 95 for sale for only $5500. I ended up buying it 2 days before Irma hit for $5000.

Then I started looking for chip trucks since I couldn't very easily pull it with my pickup and chip into my dump trailer. The following week I found a 1997 F Super Duty with 12' dump for $9000. I saved the page and a couple weeks later it was still listed. Took 3 tries to finally get hold of the guy and made arrangements to drive to Melbourne to look at it. I liked the truck and after some negotiations we agreed on $8000 but I couldn't pick it up until Oct. 1 because he needed to use it.

I finally got the truck picked up last Monday. Had to take it to the dump on the way home to get rid of his last load of crap. Except for a flat tire from a torn valve stem it worked perfectly. Finally got to use the combo on a job yesterday and today and it's going to be a nice setup. Lots of adjustments and mods to come in order to fit the tool to the task. On Monday I'm dropping it off to have a cap made for the bed. It will be latched down with truck hood latches and will have a lifting ring so I can remove it with either bucket truck. I purchased 2 under bed toolboxes from Tractor Supply and will have brackets made to mount them. I'm also replacing the sand dump tailgate with two side hinge gates made of square tubing and expanded steel so we can see what's in the bed. The tarp roller will be transferred to my dump trailer.

The chipper works great but really likes gasoline. Surprisingly thirsty for such a small motor. Seems to take about 1.5-2 gallons per hour and Ron is good about shutting it down when not chipping. I am adding a couple pieces of irrigation flex tubing to the flag holders on the fenders in order to assist in backing. We refer to them as 'pedestrian whackers'. :lol: I also picked up a hitch extension from Harbor Freight last night which makes backing a bit easier as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 211
Good finds.

Maybe I've mentioned, I'm considering getting a locking door made for my chip box. Why not have that much more covered, secured, dry storage, especially if traveling for a storm.

It would be a minor addition, could be made to be easily removable, light weight with expanded metal, and with some research lifted with struts like tool boxes and truck canopies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Jerry, a Wisconsin 4 cylinder. About to do my first oil change, not sure how much it takes. I have about 15 gallons of oil on hand for the trucks though. I also picked up a set of knives from Bailey's although the current ones are fine. I need to find out how to access and/or adjust the cutter bar. I also need to replace the bearings on the bottom roller as soon as I can find a number. I need to match it up at Miller Bearing instead of buying from Brush Bandit.

Truck is a 7.3 diesel with 5 speed manual trans. Tires are all good, it drives straight and true without any slop. AC needs recharged and I may possibly have a minor issue with the clutch slave cylinder as it's a bit hard to get into reverse. A few bumps and bruises but no rust. Will look better once I wash off all the Georgia clay.

I went on Amazon to get headlights since they are faded and one is burned out. Got a 6 piece headlight and turn signal lens set for $64. Then I went ahead and bought a new chrome grill and headlight frames for less than $100. Gonna look like new money!

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 203
I worked on those engines 50 years ago. They were flatheads then. Other than going to overhead valves I don't think the engine has changed since. Probably why it gets bad mileage. You can get parts for those things practically anywhere.

Looking good!

Did you get a parts/owners manual for the chipper? My 250xp didn't come with one and our local dealer said he could sell me one or send a PDF file for free. I printed out two. One for in the office and one for in the shop. It should have the part numbers that can be cross referenced easily. That's a nice set up you got. On your ford clutch issue, check the linkage on the clutch pedal itself. I'm not sure for your year but my 350 and 550 have a plastic spacer in there. When it breaks it adds enough play to make shifting into first and reverse act up. I think it's an $11 part from the dealer. Could be wrong though.

Thanks, guys. Billy, I'll look into that plastic bushing. Was going to drop the truck off at my mechanic later this week but now I have to work it instead. Will ask him about it when I get time.

Congrats, Brian... for those prices they shouldn't depreciate very much and should make you some considerable money in the meanwhile!

Congrats, Brian... for those prices they shouldn't depreciate very much and should make you some considerable money in the meanwhile!

That was my thoughts. I can sell either or both for more than I paid tomorrow, or a year from now. Thanks to the storm work I had cash on hand so no money was financed and the extra dollars aren't missed. Similar to my dump trailer that I bought 8 years ago and will still fetch almost what I paid for it tomorrow.

It's a bummer that the chipper burns through fuel so bad. I used a BB 90 for years (but I don't recall the engine size) and never had that problem.

Perhaps there is something you can do to improve the 'mileage.'

Congratulations!

Got the headlights and grill changed out. That was an experience! The whole deal is held in place by two nuts on the back side of the turn signals. You have to remove the battery and feel around just to find them!

Also removed the bed tarp and tailgate in preparation for the trip to the welder's shop tomorrow. Included pics of the body damage on the passenger side. Since the truck is white you hardly notice it.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 76
I've been thinking of adding a hinged top door that would securely lock the bed of my chip truck. Seems like a small mod for a lot of secured storage.

Wisconsin engines were never known to be fuel savers .If I were to guess being a chipper it's probably a 65 HP model .I doubt a 31 HP would have enough power on a chipper .
They are good tough old engines but being air cooled just like a chain saw make certain the chips and dust doesn't clog the cooling fins .
Back some time ago as teenager( over 50 years ) I did a lot of farm work .Those old farmers had engine driven hay balers with 31 HP Wisconsins and they let the chaff build up under the shrouding .If you shut one down hot you had about 45 minutes before it would start again ,vapor lock .

What Al said.....you have to take off the shrouds and clean the gunk out of cylinder fins or you risk over heat

I have a 2001 bandit 9" with 37hp motor and it chips great.....who ever had it before me put on an electric fuel pump and disconnect the mechanical pump...so when you turn off motor electric fuel doesnt pump fuel in as it shuts down....

Back