Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

In cali you have to register chippers, license plate and sticker....being that my 2001 9"bandit is under 50HP it only costs $50 for 5 years...unbelievable cheap for comi cali

A family used to live around the corner we were close to. He had a team of Percherons he took my Mom for a buggy ride. She was thrilled. When his wife died he carried the casket on a wagon to the cemetary. He died not long after and his son did the same for his Dad.

That's awesome they did that.

Part of me has always wanted to do horse logging.

It would be cool if viable. I had a neighbour as a kid that did horse logging for his main income. It was super cool but not to profitable I think for most involved. A labor of love.

depends on the terrain I think. horse logging still is the only way to log certain places. they can get into a lot of places machines can't. for selective logging in tight geography they can't be beat.

I've done horse logging.
Today it takes extreme terrain to be any where near profitable, and will only be so, if there isn't a chopper or high line outfit near by.

Nice work, though, if you are not logging to scale.

There is a guy near hear that still does it that way. Makes a descent living at it too. The very small outfits are gaining a little popularity around here anyway. The big outfits (like ours) makes a place look terrible. The horse guy can get in and out without hardly telling he has been there.

I've seen horse logging turn a damp place to a mud pit in a just a few turns...just saying it isn't always that easy on the land, ime. The pounds per square inch for a horse hoof is way higher than most machines.

But it is a totally cool way to log. I loved working with the few outfits we had on the NF here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not much logging at all around here. The last mill I knew of around here turned into a subdivision about 20 years ago. A couple years later the place by the railroad tracks that bought pine logs closed down. All urban and suburban work here.

Good news, I got my title last night! :boogie: I hope to get to the tag agency this week and deal with that, along with renewing my tags on my three commercial trucks. Over $800 for the three truck tags plus sales tax and the tag for the chipper.

I'm thoroughly pleased. I think the knife gap is a bit large right now but I have the specs in the owner's manual I got from Morbark. I want to bend a metal plate the proper thickness to use as my feeler gauge to set the gap. No more fuel leaks, new belt is properly tensioned, it runs awesome.

Ordered knives and a bedknife for the chipper last week. Got the bed knife today, regular knives will be here Wednesday. I adjusted the current knives a few days ago and it's chipping even better than before. My only minor complaint is the amount of air that blows back out of the infeed, it blows the leaves and small debris out off the infeed table and on to the ground. Only an issue with dry dead stuff.

Got a check in the mail today from the insurance company of the guy who hit my chipper 2 weeks ago. Plenty to fix the tail light and fender. \\:D/
Still need to find a source for touch up paint. I may have to call and see how much Morbark wants for it, probably $20+ per can plus shipping. Hopefully I'm wrong. Only other thing I need at some point is a new throttle cable.

My old dump trailer left today. Bobby was thrilled with it. I included a few extras plus he's getting the new ramps that came with my new trailer. I just need to use them to move a car first, then he can have them next week.

Finally got a promising call on my BB90 chipper. Will know more next week.

Also had a neighbor stop by yesterday and asked me about chips. He lives 2 blocks away and said he will take all the chips I can bring him! We will see how long that lasts. I'm hoping if I don't bury him too quickly I'll have an awesome dump spot for the entire season this year.

Just a thought on that Morbark ,not trying to be a smart alec but by all means use some never seeze on those knife bolts .I drilled the bolts out twice on Toms machine and it's a black hearted beech to do .Those grade 8 cap screws are hard as twice hammered hell and it takes a solid carbide bit to do .

Thanks, Ed. Good to see you again as well.

Al, the bolts holding my knives are grade 12 I think. Way more marks on the heads than a typical grade 8 bolt head. My DeWalt cordless impact took them all right off though, no problem.

The cordless tools available today are amazing. I have the Milwaukee M18 2763 impact. With the 9.0 battery, it is undefeated by a large margin. They just released the 2767, which ups the reversing torque from 1100 to 1400 ft lbs. Could really twist some stuff off with that.:lol:

Back