Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

IDK. Seems like gate areas, or any other high-use area will quickly become a muddy mess if left as grass. Might be collectable in those concentrated areas.

I've never dropped chips for horses.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

Wet chips have no place in stalls.

We have thick rubber flooring in our stalls, we put a bit of straw and dry wood shavings on top, to absorb urine.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I'm sure people make it work for them. If I have an area that's persistently muddy. I've always put gravel there and I have plenty of chips around yet have to buy gravel in by the expensive truckload. Just seems like if a spot is muddy. Dumping chips on the mud is short term gain for long term pain.

Precisely, grass won’t grow and it makes it worse.
    I?m condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

I see.

Almost all of my chips have been used for landscape mulch and foot paths.

The cows loved to play on the chips, dragging their chins through it, spreading it around, and it was a nice, warm (composting), high and dry spot out of muck. Maybe they liked the higher vantage point, too.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Anything goes for cows.

A local ranch here uses tree trimming chips to form the base of their winter feedlot piles, then hog fuel and sawdust on top. That's where I used to dump all my chips.

Had a dip in the chipper feed table floor just past the feed wheel and it created a lip where it met the frame. Brush was getting hung up so I took it to my welder who ran a few beads and built it up, then I ground it flat with a 4.5" grinder and flap wheel. Wow, what a difference! Did 5 oak removals on Thursday and Ron was running whole leads through it without a hiccup. We originally were going to weld in a new floor over top of the old floor but no need to go to such measures just yet.

Friday after we hauled out the second load of logs from that job and watched the stumps get ground, I dumped the trailer and then took it to Ocala (60 miles away) to the manufacturer where I traded it in for the replacement they made me. It was sold to me as having 10 gauge steel sides but they were 12 gauge so they offered to build me a replacement. I offered to bring the old one back and pick up the new one since they were willing to do that to honor their warranty. The company owner and the guys working on final prep on my trailer were all very nice and got me squared away. Got the new trailer home and it's a lot sturdier than the other one. Haven't used it yet.
    -Brian

10 gauge sides is gonna be a baddass trailer man, that should last quite some time. I'm glad they took care of the situation.
    Kyle

For both the chipper repair and trailer replace.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Square peg, round world. Dave Shepard's Avatar

Nice on the easy fix. I hate a jammy chipper infeed.