Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

The trailer hitch on the chip truck was marginal at best. Took it to the shop yesterday to see if they could reinforce it. Instead they just cut it off and rebuilt it from scratch. They did not want to use the extension so they built the hitch out solid to the same length. I could tow the space shuttle with this hitch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0162.jpg   IMG_0160.jpg  
    -Brian

Man that is some nice work there , I have had to beef up all of my hitches since Brutus weighs 14000 lbs
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

14k holy shit.

Looks good. I like a pintle bolted to a plate but looks like your body extends past the end of the frame. My trucks are short so I never need to do a slide in hitch as the frame stops where the body stops.
    trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them -unknown

Yeah the dump bed hangs a good 2 feet past the frame so I needed the hitch back far enough that the chipper didn't hit the truck on sharp turns. I've seen some trucks with the hitch hanging off the dump bed but that comes with other potential problems. This will work great as long as the insert gets removed before dumping. I'm going to get a tag or something made to stick on the PTO lever saying 'remove hitch insert' or similar.

The insert will give me more options with this truck as it may handle multiple functions, as opposed to a single purpose truck like the bucket trucks.

And yeah, 14K lbs is freaking insane for a chipper. That's a full load all by itself! I'm hoping you don't pull it with a full load on the chip truck very often (unless your chip truck is a Peterbuilt).
    -Brian

Well I'm not sure what my next step should be in regards to this chipper. I paid for it 2 weeks ago, got a receipt and the seller promised me his wife would get the title, manual, parts list etc. out of the files and get it to me shortly. Since I took possession of the chipper I've left 4 phone messages and emailed 3 times with absolutely no response. I just got done leaving messages on both numbers and another email a few minutes ago. Maybe I need to post his phone number and see how many here might want to ask him where my title is?

edit: His wife just emailed me back and said he bought that chipper in 2013 before they were married. She now doesn't know if he has a title or not.
    -Brian

Bum deal.
    Peter

Don't think I have ever got a title with a chipper. Do you need tags on them down there? Never had tags on any of mine and have been pulled for other stuff and they never mentioned the tags
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

Here you need tags on pretty much any trailer and a title on any trailer over 2000 lbs.

I just got hold of him, he said he thinks it's an electronic title so he has to go to the DMV and find out. Along with some excuses. I'll give him a few more days. Actually if it's electronic he should be able to look it up online (I think).
    http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/E-Title-FAQ.htm
    -Brian

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Same here in CA. But I think I can transfer with just a bill of sale according to Mr Hansen.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Atleast you know where he lives right?

Pita. Hope it all gets straightened out. Funny how people lose motivation to do what they said they would once they've already spent the money.