Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

Hockey pucks!

Or check an electric motor/HVAC shop for rooftop mount units vibration dampening mounts.

Or a holesaw and rubber.

As has been noted many a time before...the people here at Butch's TreeHouse are an amazing resource on a nearly unimaginably wide range of things.

Those shock mounts might be okay unless the rubber has deteriorated .We use a similar design at work on high pressure piston pumps used to cut the flash from crankshafts .Around 8,000 psi with 75 HP motors .
For that matter although I haven't checked McMaster -Carr might have something like that .

As has been noted many a time before...the people here at Butch's TreeHouse are an amazing resource on a nearly unimaginably wide range of things.

I say it again. Our members are beyond "the font of information". What an amazing resource we constitute for each other.

A lot of being able to find odd ball stuff is just related to a persons environment . In my case it's not that I'm all that smart but I've worked around industrial machinery all of my adult life .Now if the subject was smart phones or some such thing I couldn't touch my azz with both hands .One mans poison is another mans meat they say .;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lots of things are coming together nicely it seems. Yesterday Ron noticed that there is a lip in the floor of the chipper where limbs are hanging up. The floor has been bent down slightly at a seam so that will need some attention. Worst case scenario my welder can add another layer to the floor of the intake table and go right over top if it with another layer of steel. The motor mount bushings will be easy enough and should only cost about $100 or so. Thanks again, Al.

Was just reading Fiona's post about how her chipper has made disposal so much easier and she's selling every load of chips. I'm not selling chips but I haven't paid to dump a load of chips yet. I used to pay about $50 per load to dump the big trailer, and chipping is a hell of a lot easier than packing a trailer. I've used chipdrop successfully a couple times but work is still slow right now. As it picks up I'll use it more. I also have two spots that will take "all I can bring" for now, one is less than 2 blocks from my house. I suspect he will change his mind after 4-5 loads but who knows?

True! Walnut is toxic to horses. Also, wood shavings are preferable to the typical tree service chips which are usually full of twigs and leaves.

Nah. I have horses. I always buy a load of sawdust for them. Who the hell wants to roll around or lay on woodchips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is one on Chipdrop that wants chips for horses. It says no cherry or walnut.

There is a local guy who started a reclaiming,recycling place .He has a giant tub grinder and a regrinder and will take about any woods type product .He lays this stuff out in 1000 foot long rows and turns them with a John Deere 450 dozer then sells bulk mulch .He's doing okay with it and the tree trimmers or anyone has no dump fees .He's also got a small herd of buffalo and elk .

I know some people will use wood chips around a place for mud. But that never made any sense to me. Wood chips are part of the recipe for mud.

I use sawdust for bedding and if a area needs fill I use gravel. Otherwise it's just dirt/grass and why bother putting wood chips on it?

We get asked for wood chips by horse people once in a while.
Never made sense to me either.

I can get money for them at the local power plant, so that is where mine go.

Fresh chips aren't muddy.

Lots of horse people have tractors to move material.

Wonder what horse manure and wood chips makes? Would it become good or decent as a soil amendment over time? Seems horses eat "green" and chips are "brown".

My neighbor used to use them for his cows. Definitely became messy around the feeder (concentrated time in one area to add urine and feces). He should have cleared down close to the gravel base annually, and/ or gotten more gravel to raise the wet area. Delivered free is hard to beat for an old farmer with a tractor.

I have composted a huge amount of wood chips on my place. Makes great soil over time. And I also compost my horse manure. My new raised beds I put in last year are lasagna layered with some of both.

I'm just curious about people putting them in horse stalls. Wanting a bunch of wood chips dumped to compost is one thing. Wanting a bunch dumped so you can spread them around a paddock is another thing? I certainly don't add anything to my paddock areas that will compost down into mud. Quite the opposite I take everything that will compost out, as in pick all the shit up. When confined horses can work an area into a muddy mess, I just don't see how chips would help with that without eventually exasperating the problem by becoming mud themselves?

Back