Skwerl's new chipper and chip truck

Great looking rig! I'd add a 2, 3 foot extension for sure.

Now that I see it and you said it took 7 gal of fuel to fill it up...

That gawtdang chipper is burning through the gas!

Thanks. I'll talk to the mechanic and see if he will give it a try.
7 gallons of gas should be after a hard day I suppose. I can't really compare. My 250 Xp gets fuel every 4-6 days. At work we have chippers that run 40 gallons a day. Obviously much bigger size. We have a small gasser but I've only ran it once and I have no idea what we used for gas. I can ask if I can stand to talk to the guy who uses it. He's a hyper OCD type of person. A great guy to be around for ten minutes till you realize he's insane.

Looks fantastic Brian. Congratulations!8)

Rich you're cracking me up "....till you realize he's insane." :lol:

Nice Brian!
It's fun fiddling with new toys to get them set up just right for your operation.

My chipper just got dropped off at the mechanic...shutting it down yesterday, last load of branches, went to throttle down and it just shut right off, bam, no turning the key like normal. Now it won't start, turns over fine, no nasty noises, but won't fire. Hubby checked the throttle cable and electrics and then fuel pump outlet...nothing coming out when cranking...prob fuel supply issue, hope it's a simple thing, hoping. Mine's a diesel 27hp Deutz.

SOLVED! Broken wire on the emergency stop button...I'd say that was a good find by the mechanic :)
I'm so fortunate to have a diesel mechanic two blocks away...gotta love country.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's awesome having people around who you can count on in a pinch. I'm currently lacking a good Duramax mechanic so it may be a while before my small bucket truck is up and running again. Got a shop that will try to get it in next week to look at it.

That's a good set up Brian.8)

I did much the same with my chip box so I could load stuff on the back, then made up some ply extensions for chips when I need them. U type brackets just fit over the truck sides, easy to put on and take off.

SOLVED! Broken wire on the emergency stop button...I'd say that was a good find by the mechanic :)
I'm so fortunate to have a diesel mechanic two blocks away...gotta love country.

Bermy...fyi...I have a 35HP diesel Deutz...about 2 weeks ago it ran 2 hours perfectly during a storm cleanup...then just quit. Alex talked to diesel mech and got it started by by-passing a fuel cutoff solenoid...but it still would not rev up properly. I had it taken to mechanic and they did valve adjust, hoses, etc...stuff that had been neglected over the years before I bought it.

The problem was a relay in control panel that prevented shutdown solenoid from working properly. They also found a broken wire to alternator that was causing low voltage...was not charging completely.

It's an hour away but I found some good mechanics to help with the chipper.

Having back-up equipment is good.

Saturday we had a huge crane job where we had to set up in a school parking lot. We were just getting started and Brutus our big chipper broke down. It was so nice to just send a guy home to get our other chipper and still get the job done. All my equipment is used and old so I try to have a backup for everything.

FWIW in my observation my old stuff breaks down less than a lot of my friends new stuff. Brutus had a bad electric fuel pump.

Nothing like Brutus but my little baby chipper sure earned it's keep the last couple days. Cleaning up common properties for a huge HOA, we had that thing running all day yesterday and today. This was a job for my big landscaper contractor and we had a crew of his guys working with us dragging brush. I was impressed with some of the stuff that chipper could eat. Slow due to the lack of horsepower but steady. Wish the truck turned a smaller radius, it's almost impossible to back up with it.

Is it just me? I get a kick out of hearing my chipper when the auto feed kicks in for a bigger branch. Bbbrrrmmmpp.....brmm....brmm....bbbrrmmmmmmmmp.....and out spouts nothing but nice chippy chips. :lol:

Mine doesn't have it. I popped my guy in the mouth with the feed handle today, felt bad.

I had to reset all the parameters on the tachometer to get the auto-feed to work properly.

Did you get a parts/owners manual for the chipper? My 250xp didn't come with one and our local dealer said he could sell me one or send a PDF file for free. I printed out two. One for in the office and one for in the shop. It should have the part numbers that can be cross referenced easily. That's a nice set up you got. On your ford clutch issue, check the linkage on the clutch pedal itself. I'm not sure for your year but my 350 and 550 have a plastic spacer in there. When it breaks it adds enough play to make shifting into first and reverse act up. I think it's an $11 part from the dealer. Could be wrong though.

Rich, good call on the clutch pedal bushing. I spoke with my mechanic and not only is he familiar with the bushing but he keeps them in stock. He's always busy and with his small parking lot it's tough to get on his schedule but he's going to get my truck in this week for the clutch bushing and also get my AC working.

Will do a search for the manual, maybe I'll find something.

Also if that little plastic bushing has been gone for a while the pin could be wore. Mine was shot so I removed the clutch pedal, ground the weld, punched it out, and welded a new pin in. I think it's 7/16" but I could be wrong.

The bad thing is I think about these things sparatically. Wish I would remember all at once so not to waste any time.

The entire pedal assembly rocks so I'm sure there's a bit of slop there. When you press the clutch you can feel the brake pedal rotate slightly. But it's a work truck, I just want it to work safely.

Back