Big Pine - Tough Site

chris_girard

Treehouser
A few weeks back we did a tough rigging job. 95' bushy White Pine on a fairly steep site leading down to the twin docks on Lake Winni. Tree leaned 12' back and had large branches shooting towards the dock, some of them 14"-16" in dia. Everything had to be rigged down, either by blocks with tip-ties and butt-ties for the big lower branches, or speed line for the higher ones.

One thing that made it sketchy was the large cavity that was about 50' up where a large scaffold branch had broken out some years previously. Once we had the tree down to a point where I could fall it sideways to the slope, I setup 3 DWT's with 1/2" and 9/16" lines. I also used a 5/8" double-braid line as a side tension, to keep the butt from rolling.

We were too gov island1.jpg gov island2.jpg gov island3.jpg gov island4.jpg busy to get photos of the first part of the rigging, but have some of the stem rigging and falling. The cleanup is another story.

Nice job , love the face cut shot ... lakeside challenge usually comes with part two ( did this one ?) after Tree is slain , forwarding material uphill past the house to truck and chipper. Never easy.

Chris, here you go, rotated and enhanced...Great job, well thought out and executed, by the way.

gov island1.jpg gov island2.jpg gov island3.jpg gov island4.jpg

Chris great job. Two questions though. First was there a reason you couldn't high stump and bring the log up hill with a base tie off and second are these iPhone pics? On my iPhone I have to resize to original ( don't know why) to get them to load right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments and questions guys. I will try to get to them all soon. Right now, I am heading up north for the week to cut some old growth White Pine that makes this one on the lake look like a baby.

Back