Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Key components of a lock stitch or whiplock?

TreeHouser Sponsor

I don't recall the rule for the stitch's length, but I would make it length enough to cover a complete turn of the yarns, just to be sure that all of them are locked equally.

Thanks for the feedback. I had a hunch you were messing with me Brocky, I'm a bit slow sometimes

King of Splices Sponsor NickfromWI's Avatar

Hey guys. I?m sure I wasn?t the first splicer in the world to invent hiding stitches...I just gave it a silly name! Nearly Invisible Cover Core Stitch Method (NICCS Method)

The way I do it is traveling down the rope in a haphazard random pattern. Honestly I think 6-8 stitches is sufficient.

Though we?re supposed to be doing what ANSI says, I fully believe most ropes don?t need to be lock stitched. Take that blaze eye one of you posted. The throat looks so fat it?s gotta be rock solid. It would take hours to work that thing loose- if it was even possible at all.

A 3/4? double braid polyester dead eye sling is hard to fully bury without dropping a huge long in it. But the stitching inhibits that initial settling.

Now do a straight bury in some yalex: you better stitch that! It?ll come out if you look at it wrong.

Ok. I?ll get off my soap box now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking to have some custom splicing done? www.splicesbynick.com

King of Splices Sponsor NickfromWI's Avatar

Brocky thanks for posting the directions.

My fave part is step 2-B where you use the needle like a little fid!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looking to have some custom splicing done? www.splicesbynick.com

Thanks Nick! I know very little about splicing, but it seems that the lock stitching requirements are more based on tradition than actual testing. I agree that a nice whiplock is a great finish to a splice, but if I could buy that same splice for half the price without the whipping (and not die using it), I probably would. I think the first rule ANSI should adopt is: "If more than one needle is broken during the lock stitching process, the splice requires no further stitching"