Distel question

Benjo75

Treehouser
Hey all. I've recently started using the Distel for my lanyard hitch. It works great. I'm using 10mm Bee Line. I have been playing around with HRC cord. Using the same Distel with the same wraps, the Distel slips after having been advanced a foot or so. I gave it an extra wrap and it now holds but is considerably harder to pull through. I took the original wraps on the HRC Distel and captured it on the opposite side of the rope. It seems to work pretty good that way. Easy to pull through and grabs 100% of the time so far. Is it still a Distel when captured from the opposite side of the rope? Is it magically turned into some strange knot that is dangerous? I don't think so. Just wondering if anyone has done this or not. Thanks for the advice and opinions from the pros.

The one on the left is the Bee Line tied correctly. The one on the right us the HRC tied opposite.

Attachments

• 20170918_193441.jpg
    20170918_193441.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 88
The only difference will be where the pulley pushes against the bottom of the knot to release it. No worries.

The difference is the length of your prussik. (It appears) The Distel, as a hitch, should be kept on a 28in prussik. 30in prussiks work best with hitches like V.T.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you both. I just looked and even though it doesn't look like it the Bee Line is 30 in and the HRC is 28 in. But it grabs good connected backwards. Maybe as it wears a little it will grab better and I can turn it back around. I'm going through the phase of trying out every cord looking for the smoothest setup.

Thank you both. I just looked and even though it doesn't look like it the Bee Line is 30 in and the HRC is 28 in. But it grabs good connected backwards. Maybe as it wears a little it will grab better and I can turn it back around. I'm going through the phase of trying out every cord looking for the smoothest setup.

Yeah, I find each cord has a break in period.

It's funny how some hitches and cords work right off the rip, some need the break in, and some need tuning. Some one could right a book on this alone.

Hey all. I've recently started using the Distel for my lanyard hitch. It works great. I'm using 10mm Bee Line. I have been playing around with HRC cord. Using the same Distel with the same wraps, the Distel slips after having been advanced a foot or so. I gave it an extra wrap and it now holds but is considerably harder to pull through. I took the original wraps on the HRC Distel and captured it on the opposite side of the rope. It seems to work pretty good that way. Easy to pull through and grabs 100% of the time so far. Is it still a Distel when captured from the opposite side of the rope? Is it magically turned into some strange knot that is dangerous? I don't think so. Just wondering if anyone has done this or not. Thanks for the advice and opinions from the pros.

The one on the left is the Bee Line tied correctly. The one on the right us the HRC tied opposite.

Is that Hi-Vee rope with a sharpie treatment? Switch the micro pulleys ..... killer colors that way.

No worries, I've configured my Distel like that with the wrench many times. If anything it adds a bit more bight.

You can also add a twist to your I2I to snug it a bit more if it's slipping. Better than changing wraps. Could be what it needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not really sure exactly what rope that is. It is from "At Height". I order them from my local arborist supply store. I like the spliced eyes as opposed to stopper knots on my lanyards. I have several different lengths from 10 ft to about 25 ft. I use the longer ones for a secondary climbing system. The rope already has those black threads in it. You're right about swapping the micro pulleys.

I may go back to my original wraps and try twisting one or both ends. Thanks for the advice.

You're right about writing a book about the tuning of the cords. I'm constantly messing with mine trying to perfect it. I'll get it where I'm completely happy then turn around and try a new brand of cord or change the length just a little. Or try a new hitch completely.

If you're liking the Distel there are two other hitches that are closely related, the Happy Hands and the Matt Cornell. Turning the hitch 180 degrees has been done with the Michoacán, with it being called the Petrocan. It's interesting that rotating some hitches causes them to preform differently.

Back