bad pick

That crane didn't flex at all. Can't tell if that sling twisted and broke or if the wood hit it. Nasty

Another treeco trying to get by w/o a climber, it appears.

It looks like they set the sling as high as they could from the lift.

It wasn't placed NEARLY high enough!

I agree completely Butch. No idea why the sling failed. Could have been a knot or anything, but the crane was hardly loaded prior to failure

I thought it flexed a significant bit.

Crane looked well-sized for the pick, luckily for them.

Bet they didn't measure the tree.

Maybe should have taken a much bigger piece, not cut at max height on the man-lift.

The sling was probably defective/old/whatnot and the flip shock loaded it.

Don't let your picks flip, people!

Looks like the butt hit it.
Look again, Sean. The sling broke just before the butt reached the position where it could have struck it.

The shock of the load endo-ing is likely what caused the sling to fail. Or it was getting worn out from the earlier picks..or rated too low.

What is amazing is that they had somehow managed to get the other picks made without accidents, presumably.

Seems like that mobile lift could have been extended higher, to allow for a proper placement above the center of mass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
From a crane Ops point of view I really don't give 2 hoots if a pice flips like that as long as the climber is safe. Think about it that pice is top heavy admittedly but only by about 400lbs (????) So bottom line is you effectively have a 400lbs load moving at the speed of the mid tips in a circular motion and then coming to a gradual halt. Theres very little additional loading. That pick didn't look too big to me ( if rigged correctly} . I assumed the but hit the strap and popped it but RB says no. Guess its gotta be shitty strap combined with friction of the strap on bark as the relative angle of force changes. The guy in the lift was lucky as shit!!

Guess there was probably no ONE cause just a myriad of Jackassery

Guess there was probably no ONE cause just a myriad of Jackassery

Agreed. And also found it amazing how little the boom reacted to the sudden unloading. Cranes are just a marvel of engineering.

Not real good advertising for New Beginning Tree Service. Right Paul, the guy in the lift is mighty lucky, looks like he got a good brushing.

Looks to me like the rotation caused a twisting self-open of the "hook-gate" against the sling and subsequent drop of the load?

Incidentally Jer, I have a modification of that saying that I use when things go right… I say,
"You can't lose em all"

aug

Back