Advancing an SRT Canopy Anchor

TreeRhino

TreeHouser
So i generally only use canopy anchors when ascending and working on an SRT system and struggle to advance my PSP (TIP) efficiently. I understand that a basal anchor system would make this a whole lot easier, but i just don't like my line in the work zone--too much risk, for me, of it getting damaged inadvertently by ground operations.

That being said, I often don't start off with the PSP (TIP) that i eventually want to work the whole tree with. Either because the throwline gods aren't with me that day or because i can't see well enough to be confident in what I'm anchoring to. In any case, once i get up and can inspect further, I often want to advance my canopy anchor, but it is very cumbersome.

Recently, my strategy has been to leave my original PSP where it is and toss the tail of my rope over a higher crotch to elevate my TIP. By doing this, I am essentially turning my canopy anchor in to a basal anchor of sorts (with the basal part up in the tree and out of the way) with all that implies (higher potential loading, etc...) but am quite careful about what i redirect over.

My questions are as follows:

1) Am I missing a hazard here that could come back to bite me?

2) Is there another way to do this that would be as simple and not require extra gear and/or retrieval of said gear at the end of the climb?

Thanks!

Usually I just work extra careful close to standing anchor line ... Sometimes a pull and a wrap around my leg , most times girth aone of the rigging slings around it and clip into one if my saddle Dees or Bridge , or another branch

Only thing I would add is if you have multiple moves just use a sling and biner, AB on climb line. Once you get to a good PSP then pull through the climb line and set as you wish. Might not be the way you'd want.

Friction saver with midline attachable rings (ie quicklinks, etc) works great for going from a base tie to a canopy tie that you need to advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only thing I would add is if you have multiple moves just use a sling and biner, AB on climb line. Once you get to a good PSP then pull through the climb line and set as you wish. Might not be the way you'd want.

I've considered that and it works well but requires retrieval at the endomof the climb. Not a huge deal, but I try to finish near the ground.

I've been running a butterfly for my anchor with a pinto below it to fair lead the knot and that works pretty well for managing the friction, though it can still take a mighty tug with multiple redirects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A little tip on basal anchors if you're concerned about damage from ground crew is to slide it up as high as you can reach.

You know, I go back and forth on basal anchors. One day they freak me out, the next I think they make the most sense. For now though, I'm sticking with my canopy anchors and my hybrid anchor.

I've considered that and it works well but requires retrieval at the endomof the climb. Not a huge deal, but I try to finish near the ground.

I've been running a butterfly for my anchor with a pinto below it to fair lead the knot and that works pretty well for managing the friction, though it can still take a mighty tug with multiple redirects.

Sorry. I meant that you use a sling while climbing. Then when you get to your PSP you remove the sling and set the climb line as per basal or canopy anchor.

A little tip on basal anchors if you're concerned about damage from ground crew is to slide it up as high as you can reach.

Use a pole hook to put it up out of harm's way, and retrieve it later by pulling open your basal choke with the same hook.

Depending on the tree, I almost always have two lines. One to get as high up as I can; the other to work from. Often use both to double-crotch. In some cases, that AND a lanyard.

Back