Nelder grove fire

frans

TreeHouser
Hey are there any members here with info on the fires around the south end of yosemite?

Oh I know which fire, I was just leaking sarcasm again :D
My parents are a few miles from the start.
It's only 35 min drive from here. Bombers fly over my place to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sure hope we dont lose those trees

I don't think so, they have naturally only a poor germinating ratio.
The fire thing with the sequoia is that he stands the fire better than his competitors with his thick and fibrous bark. All the others can be heated /burned to death, but not him. At the very least, the stump survives and growths back again.

The buzz word is Serratanous, I think.

The cones on the pine trees start popping at 90-100 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't think so, they have naturally only a poor germinating ratio.
The fire thing with the sequoia is that he stands the fire better than his competitors with his thick and fibrous bark. All the others can be heated /burned to death, but not him. At the very least, the stump survives and growths back again.

This is somewhat correct. The fire eliminates the competition and leafy matter. The giant sequoia prefer mineral soils. The fire also helps in leaving the ash.
The word Deva is thiking of is Serotiny. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotiny

Serotiny is an ecological adaptation exhibited by some seed plants, in which seed release occurs in response to an environmental trigger, rather than spontaneously at seed maturation.

Thanks guys.

"Serratanous" that's a word I heard a lot this week. We were falling and collecting lodgepole cones. Some had held tight cones for several years and others were opening from the suns heat.

Back